Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgarai Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2009, 10:07 AM
    Venting a vent free stove
    Can I vent a small freestanding stove from Vermont Castings that was made to be
    Vent free? I want to install a cast iron boot to connect to a Homesaver lined masonry
    Chimney. The unit is new and made for LP.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 12, 2009, 05:36 AM
    If the unit was designed to be vent free I doupt if you will be able to vent it correctly since the byproducts of combustion are mixed with the heated air the unit produces. So if you did get a way to vent the unit all the heat produced would go up the vent and to the outside.

Most if not all of these units have a oxygen depletion sensor as a safety device to prevent CO poisoning but they can and do fail from time to time. I do not trust vent free heaters unless they are electric of course since the electric heaters do not need venting.

Apr 12, 2009, 07:09 AM
    The vent free stove I'm installing will only be used for decoration or providing a little
    Ambiance. Never intended to heat the room
    jgarai

Apr 12, 2009, 07:50 AM
    The exact usage was never mentioned in your first post. My advice still holds and the unit should be installed exactly as instructed in the owner/install manual that came with the unit. Enjoy.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2009, 08:23 AM

Why are you wanting to vent it?

Apr 12, 2009, 09:23 AM

I think it it releases too much moisture into the
    Home. Even if I just turn it on occasionally, having anything burning in a living area without some venting is against my old fashion
    Working knowledge. I know the current trend of the trade tend to accept vent free gas units in the home, but the acceptance is not universal by a long shot.

Apr 12, 2009, 01:14 PM
    The owners manual usually instruct you to open a window to help with the moisture problem and also to dilute the combustion by products. I know exactly what you are saying that is why they are not allowed by code in this area. All units must be of the vent type and go outside to a appropriate location as per the listing of the unit. UL/CSA.

Apr 12, 2009, 01:50 PM

Thank you for your input. It seems we are on
    The same page as about how this unit can work
    This unit was a fantastic
    Deal and for that reason I don't mind to even
    Changing out the burner part, that will make it
    A full vented unit. I have some valves and extra burner pan laying around.
    Thank You again
    Julius garai
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 12, 2009, 05:48 PM

I wouldn't get to involved in converting a ventless to a direct vent. I would suggest selling the ventless as is, and buying a direct vent fireplace. If you got a great deal on the ventless, you should be able to make some money on it to put toward a direct vent.

Just a note,, ventless are not allowed in my state either, there is a reason for it, they are dangerous, a health hazard if ever there was one.

Just my opinion(and a justifiable one at that.).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Soffit material 'Free venting' [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I find how much free venting per lineal foot can I use for soffit material?

Vent pipe for propane gas stove [ 3 Answers ]

Could anyone tell me when venting a gas stove do I only need to use typeB vent to go through the wall and regular vent the rest of the way.

Proper Vent Size & Wet Venting [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have an old house (100-years) and have a couple of questions about venting. Here's the details of each floor: Basement - washer & utility sink, / shower, sink, & toilet 1st Floor - kitchen sink, garbage disposal, & dishwasher / sink & toilet 2nd Floor - tub, sink, & toilet My...

Venting sewage ejector w/ a studor vent [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, my home builder put drain pipes for tub, toilet and lavatory in basement floor; I'de like to know if venting my sewage ejector w/ a studor vent is up to plumbing code and if it will work for a full bath or must I dry vent it to the supplied vent in basement. Also, will venting the lavatory...

Venting new bathroom into existing vent [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in the process of adding an additional bathroom on the 3rd floor of our house. My question is this, can I vent this bathroom into the 2nd floor bathroom vent, which about 10 feet away from my planned 3rd floor waste line? Are there any restrictions on how many horizontal feet versus vertical...

View more questions Search