Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mhabby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Installing Manual Transfer Switch for 7000 Watt Generator
    I have a question about installing a manual transfer switch to be used with a portable 7000 Watt generator to power essentials during power outages. To preface this, I am going to have an electrician do the work, but am trying to get an idea of how it will work and how much parts will cost. I am not trying to operate my home electrical as normal when power goes out, but would like to be able to power my well pump, furnace, air handlers, etc. and maybe a few lights. I understand that the above items may not be able to run at the same time. I was looking at a 30 amp manual transfer switch to handle six or eight circuits.

My home was built in 2007. The main panel is 200amp and it is located in the basement. There is a 200 amp subpanel in the attic (finished attic), which powers the upstairs as well as the attic. The sub-panel is fed by a breaker in the main panel - actually there's two identical breakers, each 100amp, located side by side, with the switches tied together - a handle tie - that feeds the sub-panel. The only items in the upstairs I would like to be able to use are a few lights and most importantly the air handler to be able to heat upstairs. Both the lights and air handler are on 15 amp circuits on the sub panel.

Here's my question. Assuming that every circuit in the sub panel is turned off and I intend on utilizing only two 15 amp circuits on the sub panel, can the two 100 amp breakers handle tied together in the main circuit panel be connected to a 30 amp manual transfer switch as one of the six or eight circuits or do I need a 200 amp transfer switch to be able to do this? A 200 amp transfer would require a lot larger generator and defeats the pupose of what I am trying to accomplish. Any other suggestions to get power to the air handler if this will not work? Thanks in advance.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 09:17 PM

Why don't you put a generator interlock kit on the main panel. This is a mechanical interlock that prevents the main and a backfed breaker to be on at the same time. The backfed breaker is sized to the generator.

http://www.interlockkit.com/faq02.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Generator transfer switch - enough for well pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10hp 5600 generator that I want to connect to a "GenTran 20216 Manual Transfer Switch". It states that this transfer switch has 6 switches (rated 15 amps ea), a handle tie for one 2-pole circuit such as a well pump. My question is this - my well pump is 220 30 amps. Does two switches at...

Generator power transfer switch [ 1 Answers ]

Our power goes off on a frequent basis. If it is off more than 8 hr I need to power up with my own generator 8kw, to prevent spoilage and to run the well. My question is do you have to disconnect the neutral also and run the neutral to the generator or can the neutral be common to both power...

3 wire 220 connecting transfer switch to generator [ 2 Answers ]

I have a manual transfer switch that I want to use between my house circuits and my 5000 watt generator. I have 3 wire #10 receptical existing from the circuit box over to where my generator sets (it is exhausted outside). Can I use this 3 wire line to connect my transfer switch to my generator...

Installing A Transfer Switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 30KW 3 phase generator I purchased from government surplus. After repairing the generator it runs fine and I will only be using 2 of the phases. Now my question. I have a new Cutler-Hamer model DT224URK-NPS 200 amp transfer switch which I have mounted above where my service enters my home....

Transfer Switch & Generator Compatibilty [ 3 Answers ]

I have installed a manual transfer switch in my home. It says in the instructions to make sure the neutral is un-bonded to the generator. My Generator has a bonded neutral to the frame. What can I do to make the switch and the Generator compatible? Thanks

View more questions Search