Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

Apr 19, 2007, 10:00 PM
    Asthma or bad dreams?
    YES, I'm a very overprotective "mother"... lol, I just have to make sure my new "baby" is okay!

When my puppy (7 weeks old) is sleeping she makes this weird wheezing/gasping noise. She doesn't do it constantly when she is sleeping, but just every once in a while. And she will also randomly act like she is sucking on something when she's sleeping.

Is she just having a bad puppy dream or is she having problems breathing?

I don't want to be at the Vet every day for something different but I also want the best for my pup and I can never remember to ask him EVERYTHING. Plus, I think a restraining order is coming my way. ;)

Thanks!
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 12:19 AM
    As far as the gasping noises, she's probably fine if she has no other symptoms (ie: she is eating, sleeping, peeing and pooping normally). Is she breathing okay when she is awake? If so, and everything else seems okay, I wouldn't worry about it. You could always speak to the vet on the phone about it rather than taking her in. When are you due for her next checkup/shots? As a precaution, I wouldn't expose her to other dogs this early if you can help it. Wait until she's fully protected.

The sucking noises probably are just that... she is dreaming of suckling her mother's teats. She is still very young. Every now and then my 2 year old, 125 lb. Bernese Mountain Dog makes suckling noises in his sleep. It really makes us laugh! :D

Hope this helps!

Didi
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2007, 03:17 AM
    Better to ask too many questions than not enough. I hope you have a good vet that will patiently answer your questions. As you describe it, what your puppy is doing sounds normal.

At that age, they do need continuing contact with other dogs. But, not just any dogs, not the unknown ones in the park. For all your running to the vet, there will be a window where your puppy is vulnerable to parvo and other diseases. See Canine Parvovirus, What you should know about Try to find others that are giving their dogs good care. Working through the breeder to arrange play dates with litter mates is good. I have it easy with other puppies in the same program to visit with.
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

Apr 20, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Thanks you guys for all your help. Her next appointment is next week to get her 3rd round of shots... I'll starting making a list of things I'd like to ask, so next time I won't forget.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Asthma [ 9 Answers ]

Can you be on steroids and not gain weight

Asthma issues and chemical stuff [ 9 Answers ]

Well I am really freaking out right now as maybe I am slow to learn this but I just found out that formaldehyde-carcnigen (quarternium-15) is in my baby's shampoo-all of his shampoos. And many other products too like Dove which I love, Tide, Lysol, etc. My 12 year old has asthma and he hasn't...

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Dachsund and Asthma [ 3 Answers ]

I am a realtor and clients want to purchase a home where two mini dachshunds were living. How much of an asthma risk is this short haired breed? Does this breed tend to have a dander problem that might induce severe reaction?

Allergies/asthma/neither? [ 2 Answers ]

For a long time I've been known to have "colds" very often, but someone gave me on the idea that it might be allergies. I always have a stuffy nose, though some days its worse than others, and I sneeze a lot. And sometimes I'll have itchy eyes. Since I have these pretty much all year, I didn't...

View more questions Search