Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dan_Patrick Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 01:25 PM
    1985 300ZX Turbo Running Rough at Idle
    I've had my 300ZX for almost 5 years and it has never given me any trouble. I change the oil every 2500 miles, use the proper(NGK) plugs, clean the filtercharger, and had the fuel injection service performed. Turbocharger was rebuilt around 65k and exhaust system was redone around the same time. Car now has 77k.

Last full tune-up was about a year ago; I haven't driven the car that much. The car runs great on the highway, lots of power, and acceleration is normal.

Recently, the car began running very rough at idle. Sometimes it won't even start when the engine is warm. It can take me anywhere from 3-10 cranks to get it started when the engine is warm. When I do manage to start it, it runs very rough and will try to die if I give it gas. The problem corrects itself after a few mintues.

Last night I started it fine from a warm start after about 30 minutes of driving, but after about 45 seconds the engine began shaking and running very rough. After a few mintues everything returned to normal.

This problem has been persisting on and off for the last 3 weeks. Everything was fine before then. I am completely baffled.

Any assistance would be helpful.

Regards
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Sounds like your igniter is bad. I recommend that you also replace the coil.
    Dan_Patrick Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 12:02 PM
    What is an igniter? Do you mean starter, or ignition module?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Ignition Control Module (igniter). Here's what it looks like:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...Control%20Unit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Honda Civic rough idle & stalling [ 42 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Honda Civic, with approx. 77k miles, that recently has started idling very low. It doesn't happen all of the time, but often, when I'm coming to a stop, the car shakes violently and I can see that the idle is very low. This has been occurring for the past 2 months. When it first...

95 Civic,Rough idle [ 6 Answers ]

We have a 1995 Honda Civic with a strange problem. It will run great for awhile and then it will start to jerk while cruising. When it comes to a stop light, the idle will be very rough. It almost seems like the car is not getting enough gas.It wasn't doing it consistently enough to bring it to...

Rough idle on 1988 accord [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a 1988 accord,and it idles terrible.I have installed the following items to correct of no avail=new cap(distributer),wires,pcv valve,adjust timing,fuel filters ,heard problem could be,vac. Leak=i can't find one,and now another possible solution the ignitor? Could I ask does...

Rough idle 99 ram [ 1 Answers ]

The idle on my 99 ram 5.9 lt jumps up about 500rpms replaced plugs wires dist rotor in march also replaced cat. Ane o2 sensers still does the same thing any ideas?

View more questions Search