Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rawpotatoeater37 Posts: 244, Reputation: 8

May 14, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Purely hypothetical - I promise
    I love old cars. I really do. I would love to own one. It's not going to happen ANYtime soon.

But. Would it be possible to put a vintage (good condition) body and frame over a modern engine and all of that stuff? Or I guess more accurately, could you put a modern engine into an old car?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 14, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Yes, I see new engines in model Ts and model A at car shows,
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2007, 08:02 PM
    I'm into them too. I own one. A vintage gto. Pontiac rolled off the last big 6.5L V8 in 1978. A few made it into the 1979 Trans Am. Then, when they finally ran out of the big V8's, they borrowed some from the Olds line in the form of a 403. After that, it was all down hill.
    Sure, I could get a Chevy big block out of a create, stuff it between those fenders, and make it completely smog legal fuel injected clean machine. All the parts are out there. And very doable. Got cash?
    My fellow Pontiacers would heavily frown on me for doing that, though. Nothing like keep it original in my book!
    Regards,
    kitch428ci

May 15, 2007, 06:39 AM
    Very neat! Thanks.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 15, 2007, 07:03 AM
    There are shops that specialize in this for the very wealthy. But just about every guy out there has dreamed of building his own streetrod. I know this guy, personally, here in NE Florida who does that for a living. Jim, at The Street Rod Shop. You bring him a car or he'll help you find one. Then does a complete frame-off restoration. He's got place down south (Miami area, I think ) that dips the body and frame. In goes a new Jasper powertrain. The vehicle gets fully rewired, as necc. All custom stuff. It's neat to watch. Sometimes a resto can take years to do right. And you'll have to leave your checkbook with him, too. Haha

May 15, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Heh I wish I could do that!

Maybe one day...

Personally, I love 1940's and 30's styles cars, but I know that often the engines and other parts aren't in good condition and that's why they're often abandoned. But why let a gorgeous, vintage body collect dust?

Oh well. At least I can dream.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 15, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Personally, I appreciate your appreciation! Damn! From my experience, that's very rare. I'd like to have gotten into resto earlier, but instead went for the flat-rate thing that makes us hungry. Fight for the dollar today instead of looking to the future. I was closed to the idea when I started working on cars for a living. You go. I, personally, think you'll be happier in the long run. Read my profile.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2007, 06:50 PM
    I agree with CaptainRich. Amen, brother! And rawpotatoeater37, you're a very interesting person! :)

May 16, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Heh Thanks! I appreciate that!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 16, 2007, 02:24 PM
    If you want to have a go, before spending out serious time and money, have a go on a MINI.
    They are small, easy(ish) to work on, loads of cheap parts and great fun.
    This would give you something to get you feet wet with then move on to the main event.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hypothetical: Pray or kill? [ 19 Answers ]

A person is pinned under a truck which is on fire and slowly roasting him to death. You are the only one there and he begs you put him out of his misery. The place is isolated and no help will arrive. What would you do? Pray for him as he slowly dies in excruciating pain? Or put him out of his...

A broken promise [ 12 Answers ]

I got out of a HUGE relationship with James. We dated for over a year and I loved him. But then we broke up and ever since I've been jumping from guy to guy. Until I found one I ended up falling in love with. He said he loved me. He said he would never, could never, break up with me. But then one...

A promise [ 3 Answers ]

When your ex gives you a promise ring what does that mean? And he won't take it back?:confused: :confused: :confused: :( :(

Hypothetical Response to this statement [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering how you could would respond if you ever ran into your ex either in person or on the phone and they mentioned they are now in another relationship. The few ones that came to mind would be good for you, glad you found someone that can make you happy. Not sure exactly and...

Standalone toilet venting (hypothetical)? [ 1 Answers ]

If only a toilet were drained from a dwelling to a sewer/septic would it need to be vented according to code or otherwise for safety?

View more questions Search