Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thejetzer Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Event Electrician looking for more
    Hello pro electricians,
    I am an Event Electrician who works in the NY and Las Vegas areas for special events, concerts, festivals, etc etc. I am not associated with any union, and I freelance for work. I did attend college for Theatrical Lighting Design, and act very often as a Master Electrician on events.

My questions for you are:
    1) What is the best way to go about learning codes, both national and local? Method better than reading the plain old full NEC book?

2) Is there any route for any level of certification without apprenticeship?

3) Any books you highly recommend?

I've learned a lot from college and working the past few years for events, and definitely am more knowledgeable about power than average stagehands, but I lack a lot of knowledge for codes and issues I don't run into in setting up temporary power solutions.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and tips!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Quote: "and act very often as a Master Electrician on events".
    So you're an Actor?
    I would go to a place like Mike Holt Enterprises:
    Mike Holt
    They have Practice Exams for Journeyman and Master.
    I would not only have the NEC Code Book, but the NEC Handbook.
    For the Journeyman and Master Exam you can also have "American Electricians Handbook"
    I had it for my Journeyman, couldn't find for my Master, didn't want to buy another(expensive). Figured If I didn't know it by now(without the handbook) I didn't deserve the Master. I lucked out and passed.
    There is also Uglys for formulas:
    Ugly's Electrical Reference
    This will keep you busy for a while.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 05:03 PM
    1) Books like Soare's book on grounding and many of the Mike Holt books and online classes as Strat mentioned.
    Also, the NEC handbook is a GREAT resource. Most sections are explained in plain language and laid out very well.
    Problem is, what code cycle do you study? Across the country different code cycles are being used. If you know you will just be in NY and LV then you would be fine concentrating on just their codes.
    Online resources, web sites and message boards are great to keep on top of new and current codes and regs.

2) See #1. EVERY location, even down to towns and villages, have their own rules and certifications. Some states do have statewide levels (I believe Ca. is like this), some have none at all other than sporadic requirements in certain areas (NYS and Pa. come to mind).

3) See #1

Apr 16, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Quote: "and act very often as a Master Electrician on events".
    So your an Actor?
    I would go to a place like Mike Holt Enterprises:
    Mike Holt
    They have Practice Exams for Journeyman and Master.
    I would not only have the NEC Code Book, but the NEC Handbook.
    For the Journeyman and Master Exam you can also have "American Electricians Handbook"
    I had it for my Journeyman, couldn't find for my Master, didn't want to buy another(expensive). Figured If I didn't know it by now(without the handbook) I didn't deserve the Master. I lucked out and passed.
    Their is also Uglys for formulas:
    Ugly's Electrical Reference
    This will keep you busy for a while.

Haha, well I guess I should have stated "work under the title of Master Electrician"... but considering on my side of things (outside of Union) there really isn't certification, it could be considered acting. Although, a lot of times, I'm paid as a lighting stagehand, but USED as an ME... the risk I run for having the knowledge.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. And yes, it looks like it will keep me busy for a while.

Apr 16, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Oh, I just found a bunch of the Mike Holt DVDs on SmartFlix.com, that you can rent for a week for around $10... for anyone else interested.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Interestingly, I used to do theatrical lighting as well, although I had no formal training. I was on the road with a youth theatre group and I loved it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrician Damaged my Control Board [ 6 Answers ]

We had electrical work done on my house (change the main box outside). We had all lights and central air on when the electrician turned main power off to house. After work was completed, all the lights went on at once but when we went to turn the central air on, the thermostat read that the...

Dishonest electrician taking advantage -- options? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I've got a terribly strange situation on my hands. I'm a small business owner with two other women, and an associate of mine recommended an electrician/handyman to do a fairly big job in my business: -Replace a single phase breaker with a 3-phase breaker in my shop, and run new...

Bad electrician... Need help [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, hopefully someday will be able to help me. I hired an "electrician" though not certified or licenced, he said (and sounded) like he knew his stuff... That was last August. SInce then, he has spent probably a total of 20 to 30 hours working on my house. His job, was to remove all the metal...

View more questions Search