Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thnworld Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2006, 12:22 PM
    Share bathroom and kitchen exhaust vent
    Hi,

I am trying to put in an exhaust vent for my bathroom in the basement. I have two questions. First, does the roughed in usually have the trap pre-installed for the shower under the floor? Second, Can I run the bathroom vent to the kitchen exhaust pipe and have it run to the outside. In essence, I want to share the same pipe with the kitchen exhaust vent.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2006, 12:41 PM
    "First, does the roughed in usually have the trap pre-installed for the shower under the floor?"
    If there's a stub up then you have a trap under the cement.
    Second, Can I run the bathroom vent to the kitchen exhaust pipe and have it run to the outside.
    Yes you may, this is called reventing. However,you must connect the basement vent back to the kitchen vent at least 6" higfher then the rim of the sink. Good luck, tom

Jan 13, 2006, 03:39 PM
    As for the venting, I meant the exhaust from the bathroom connect to the existing kitchen duct that takes it to the outside. I don't want to run a second duct from the bathroom to the outside, I want to share the one with the kitchen. Is that possible? If possible, is there a module to prevent backflow between the kitchen and the bathroom?
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2006, 04:04 PM
    Now I'm confused. We're going to hafta get together on terms. Vents have to do with drainage and exhausts have to do with kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans. I assumed you were speaking about a plumbing problem but now I'm not so sure. Please explain in detail just exactly what your question deals with. Regards, Tom

Jan 13, 2006, 06:52 PM
    You're right.. It is the exhaust for the kitchen and bathroom. I have one exhaust duct from the kitchen ran down to the ceiling of the basement and out to the back of the house. I want to put in an exhaust fan from the bathroom in the basement and connect it to the existing duct for the kitchen. Can I do that and how?
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Jan 13, 2006, 07:21 PM
    Size of ducts? CFM output of both bathroom and kitchen fans?

You have to ensure the total CFM supplied by both ducts doesn't exceed the capacity of the output duct.

Essentially, you have X amount of airflow from the kitchen, Y amount of airflow from the bathroom. X+Y = Z amount of capacity required as an output. Now, having said that, I doubt your kitchen duct was sized with the additional capacity in mind.

So, to make a long story short - I wouldn't do it. Not to mention, should you have a blockage, you will be exhausting the kitchen into the bathroom, or vice-versa. My opinion only... without any info about airflow of the kitchen exhaust or bathroom exhaust, it is not possible to tell you whether the duct to the outside is large enough to accommodate the requirements of both fans.
    bushdr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2012, 12:51 PM
    My apartment kitchen sinck drain I recently was connected to ny toilet drain separated by a wall. Worst of all the building septic exhaust was mistakenly opened in my apartment .the smell I lived with for 12 years now uncovered by accidental discovery. I know one day ill find it , my question is I'm in germany , and I'm american in going standing, my stomach turns , I'm moving out imm. Do I have a big legal case of human abuse, unsanatary dangerous living conditions, how much do you think my anguish should cost, my rent is 600 us dollars per month, for 12 yrs on time payment, What would you do . I'm my position, I felt fooled and robbed of my earnings , lost good friends refuse to come over my flat, black mould on my walls growing foungus already, my sealing is falling in when it rains, and the land lord said he don't know what to do, and the septic vent in my apt was a big mistake ,he installed one immediately . What should I do with this landlord. I'm mad as hell . Bdee. [email protected]
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 9, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Yes! Your complaint is solid. If a vent was left open in your wall then you should be compensated for your exposure to a hazard. You will need a lawyer for this action. Does your area have a Health Department that you can complain to? Please keep me informed.. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attic venting of bathroom exhaust fan [ 4 Answers ]

Our bathroom has a ceiling light fixture whice I would like to replace with an exhaust fan. I understand the need to vent this out of the attic and to have the duct well insulated to avoid condensation. The problem is access to the outside. We have a roof with four sloping sides, no vertical ends....

Kitchen sink vent [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older house with a kitchen sink and wash machine that use the same drain. After washing clothes or dishes there is a nasty odor that comes from the basement. (I assume where the drain is) There seems to be no vent to the outside ? Does it need one? Does it have to go through the roof or...

Exhaust vent [ 4 Answers ]

We have a new furnace located in the basement with a PVC exhaust pipe. The exhaust exits the house through the wall at the floor joists and is turned down toward the ground with a 90 degree elbow. Is this a common practice? I just assumed that it would exhaust through the roof as the old systems...

Kitchen sink vent [ 1 Answers ]

I have moved into an apartment where the kitchen sink was put in as an afterthought and as such was not vented in any way. Is there a way to simply tee off from the drain and run a short stretch of PVC under the basin of the sink and up to above the level of the drain in order to vent the drain? I...

Venting bathroom exhaust into radon pipe [ 3 Answers ]

We are building a second floor bathroom over a first floor bathroom. We are draining (and venting) the fixtures into the vent for first floor fixtures (creating a wet stack, which I understand may not be to code, but will function properly?). Question: we will also have an exhaust fan over the...

View more questions Search