Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diddlydudette1 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 01:02 PM
    1099 Misc Income - Nonemployee compensation
    I'm in the process of doing my taxes using TaxAct and this income has me stumped.

I was laid off my job of 10 years working for a government contractor. After a few months, I was then asked to do some work out of state for another government contractor. I was not their employee, but independent contractor I guess is what you call it.

I did work for about 10 days. They paid my food per-diem each day. They paid my hotel, but I was reimbursed my airfare and car rental. So the total that is on my 1099 MISC is my labor of 5,610.00 and the additional airfare, per diem and car rental reimbursement of 2,067.84 for a total of 7,677.84.

How do I go about filling out my tax forms for this? When making arrangements to go to this company I paid out of pocket my airfare, car rental, food, etc. and they just reimbursed me for the costs. I thought that was it. I didn't realize I'd have to pay some sort of taxes on top of that?? I just did this one job and don't plan on another. It just helped while I was unemployed. Do I STILL have to pay some type of self employment taxes? It just seems like I'm being taxed all over and I come out making a lot less than I thought and I'm still unemployed so this is hurting me because I didn't realize I'd be responsible for all these payments.

Edited to add that in doing my federal taxes and reviewing what I've done so far, I'm having to pay 543.00 in Self employment taxes just for doing this one job? Geesh.

Could someone help me figure out what the heck I need to do to go about all this? I would so appreciate some help. THANKS!! :confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Your need to report the income earned and reimbursements on Schedule C as INCOME.

You then deduct the expenses you incurred as deductible expenses.

The difference is your net income, which is subject to income taxes at your marginal rate and the 15.3% self-employment tax, which is calculated on Schedule SE.

Welcome to the world of the small businessman, who typically pays between 30 - 50% of his net income in taxes.
    diddlydudette1 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 04:10 PM
    Thanks Mr. AtlantaTaxExpert for the welcome into the Self Employment world and by the way... I'm not liking it at all. It's been a learning experience for sure... gotta love the SE tax, etc.

Thanks so much for answering my question. This board is awesome.

Someone told me that I couldn't deduct my expenses but I had to count it as my income because it was all included in my non-employmee compensation. That just didn't sound right at all so I'm glad I asked.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Glad to help!

And, BTW, NO ONE said you had to LOVE the SE tax! You just have to PAY IT!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 MISC NonEmployee Compensation [ 4 Answers ]

I received a 1099 Misc from my previous employer. I'm wondering if it is correct. Here's some more specific information regarding it: I was fired from my employer, however, as part of my severance package, they agreed to pay my health & dental insurance for 9 months. I then received a...

1099 MISC income [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who is exercise instructor who also did some painting in our facility for a flat fee. Is the painting income reportable on Form 1099 and if so which box?

Nonemployee compensation [ 6 Answers ]

When filing federal taxes, is schedule c the only required form to report nonemployee compensation? If there are no business expenses, will I only have to fill out my personal info and income amount>

Claiming 1099 misc. Income [ 3 Answers ]

I earned approximately $500.00 in 2006 in a home based business. I received a 1099 misc. income form. Do I need to do a Schedule C no matter how much I earned or is there a minimum amount before having to go through the process of preparing a Schedule C?

1099 nonemployee compensation [ 1 Answers ]

I am GA resident, and got paid (by non profit organisation) $6k in 2006, as Non-employee compensation, reflected in 1099 box 7. No other income in 2006, no W-2. How do I pay taxes and how much... basically, what next?

View more questions Search