Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KallyMcLean Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2011, 01:27 PM
    2 year old won't sleep in her new bed
    My 2 year old recently got a new bed (little cot style bed). The first night she was perfect and stayed in her bed all night. But the next night she learnt she could get out Of bed and runs to the door crying. I tried Putting her back tO bed but she kicks up the biggest hissy fit, crying, most of the time hyperventilating. By this stage my husband and I put her in our bed and she goes to sleep. Before we got this bed she was in a cot and she might of woken up max once a night but she would go back to sleep in her bed and be fine till morning. I have even tried putting her back in her cot (which her little sister has now, so not really an option without buying a new cot) but she doesn't even want to be in that.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2011, 06:59 PM
    Just keep with consistency. 2 year olds hate changes, even if they are excited about the idea of a new bed, and even if they love their new bed. But its new, and that alone is enough to change everything for her.
    Just keep up with putting her back to bed. It will take a few weeks but it will be OK.

May I ask what a cot is? I keep picturing an old army cot but that doesn't sound like what you are talking about lol
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 20, 2011, 07:12 PM
    It might help to start a bedtime ritual (pick up toys, have a little snack, put on jammies, brush teeth, look out of window to say good night to all the birdies and chipmunks and squirrels, get into bed, Mommy tucks in, Mommy reads a story, kissies, lights out). Even include a favorite dolly or stuffed animal in the ritual and put it to bed in her cot next to her.

Like Jennie said, be consistent and keep at it sweetly but firmly (no discussion allowed) despite any resistance.

Nov 21, 2011, 02:06 AM
    Thanks for your help. We went on holidays recently for 3 weeks so her bed time routine is out of wack too. I think I'm just finding it hard because I look after both of my girls at night. Her sister is 5.5 months old. Because my husband starts work early.

The "cot" is like a cradle but bigger.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2011, 06:30 AM
    The change in routine is likely, in part, what has caused some bedtime difficulties. She'll get it sorted out again as you get back into the routine.

* Jennie, a cot is a crib in the US
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2011, 11:17 AM
    Ahhh thank you doula. That makes much more sense.

Just give her more time :) she will be back in her routine in no time :)

Nov 21, 2011, 01:08 PM
    Thanks for all your help. I knew I needed to do all those things but it makes it better when other people give the same advice.

*jennie when you asked what a cot was my mind went blank with what they call them in US. Thanks doula.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 01:13 PM
    My friend's two-year-old grandson is going through the same change from crib with sides to small bed. After a week of wandering around his room at all hours of the night, he is finally calming down.

Nov 21, 2011, 04:21 PM
    LAst night she told me she was scared of her bed and I asked why and she just kept saying scary
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 04:25 PM
    That's because it's different.

Make up a story about a little girl and her new bed or figure out some way to make the bed unscary. Did you put the dolly or stuffed animal to sleep in her bed yet?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2011, 04:34 PM
    Some of my kids liked to be surrounded by their cuddly toys... :) At two, it can be difficult for her to articulate what is scaring her, but the cuddly toy, as Wondergirl suggested, is always a good idea.

You could also leave a nightlight on, or the hall light with her door ajar. Maybe have some soft music or nature sounds playing. Projection of stars and such on her ceiling. Reading to her in bed, as she gets more sleepy, can have numerous benefits now and as she gets older.

It will take just reassuring her, over and over, for awhile.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 04:39 PM
    I had given my kids one of those Glow Worm stuffed animals (with a flashlight inside). There's a Glow Baby too. Being able to shine the flashlight in the dark room seemed to reassure them. They could have the worm only at bedtime.

Nov 21, 2011, 05:03 PM
    We gave her one of her teddy bears to have in bed with her. She just chucked it out. I can't read to her at the moment because she getting so upset. I used to read to her when she was in her cot (crib). And she would go off to sleep. I might try and start doing that when she calms down a bit. She already has a night light.
    I'm just going to have to keep at it and hopefully it starts to work. ;-).
    Thanks for all your help everyone. I will let you know how it's going in a couple of days.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 05:10 PM
    Start a made-up story before she is put into bed. Start when she's still in her day-time clothes. Stop and start the story throughout the evening. Make her the heroine. Include Teddy and then have him join you and "participate" as the story progresses. Use your kindergarten-teacher voice as you tell the story. It doesn't have to be a bestseller.

Yes, please let us know how it's going.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 2 year want to sleep in my bed [ 3 Answers ]

My 2year old son has always been a bad sleeper but since we put him in bed he wakes up and I find him sleeping next to me I get up and put him back in bed but half an hour later he is back saying mummies bed. I also have to lay next to him until he falls asleep how do I get him out of this someone...

My 2 year old won't sleep in her bed [ 26 Answers ]

Hi I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice! I have a 2 year old little gilr and she is fantastic, she has slept through the night since the day she was born. For the past week or so she has been going to bed and falling asleep if me or daddy sits and holds her hand but then she...

My 2 year old son does not sleep in his bed [ 2 Answers ]

My 25 month old used to sleep in his crib for a couple of hours wake up and I would put him in my bed (I know BIG mistake). I just found out that he climbs out of his crib so I now have him in a toddler bed, but he stays there for a couple of minutes gets out and climbs into my bed. I do not know...

How Do I Put My 3 Year Old to Sleep When its Bed Time? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi , I am Having Problems With My Three Year Old Daugter. She has always had Problems Sleeping... Which She Does Not Like To Sleep! But Since My twins were Born its Gotten Worse Then EVER!! I am trying to Break the Bad Habit , So my Twins won't fall in the same Trap! Please Help!! ...

View more questions Search