Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cookie123 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2006, 08:03 AM
    If you have a sense of humour, you have to read this!
    Hi everyone,

I used to go out with a guy called Mike. It wasn't really a serious relationship - I never slept with him or anything. When I went out with him, he was pretty materialistic, for example he refused to buy anything that wasn't designer branded like Versace etc, he constantly tried to change my wardrobe, and went on about appearances etc all of the time. He was very vain.

After a while I grew pretty tired of it and we broke up after a couple of months. No animosity, I just found him really annoying! I moved away to college, whereas he didn't go and stayed living with his parents. I didn't hear anything about him for ages, until I got a recent phonecall from him asking if I wanted to meet up. I thought yeah OK, why not. We went for a coffee together, where he proceeded to tell me everything that was great in his life - he had a new girlfriend, he was modelling, he was going to the gym, he had a new job working for the local newspaper, etc etc.

I am really happy for him etc, Im not a bitter person at all, but I've found it really annoying because the only reason he rang me was to gloat about how great his life is! He doesn't want to be friends with me, unless he has something to show off!

This guy is incredibly vain, and although he's not ugly, he's pretty plain really. I really need some advice on how to deal with this guy!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Hi,
    You're right... He just wanted to tell you about himself. He likes you as a friend, because you listen to HIM.
    If you want to be friends with him, make up your mind that anytime you are around him, he will be talking about himself.
    The best friends are those who listen to each other. As the old saying goes, you can make more friends in one month by listening to others, than you can in 1 year by them listening to you. (Dale Carnegie quote)
    I doubt this man has many friends, cause many people eventually get tired of hearing about others talk about themselves all the time.
    It's your decision as to keep him for a friend, or move on and find new ones.
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 5, 2006, 10:15 AM
    Buy him a mirror,wish him luck with his new friend and leave him alone!
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Mar 5, 2006, 10:40 AM
    Oh he's just a jerk. Sounds like his ego was knocked down a couple of notches when you broke up with him and now he's looking at this as "'retaliation". You asked how you should deal with him? Don't deal with him. Why should you have to. Hes only looking out for himself... the main reason why you broke up with him. Tell him to take a hike and not to call you again.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Mar 5, 2006, 10:59 AM
    Everyone has give you good advice...

You shouldn't give this guy another thought. You don't need to listen to him gloat about himself. Drop him out of your life, for good.
    ndx Posts: 79, Reputation: 21

Jun 19, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Or, you could give him one quick phone call invite him to a coffee shop, and just TALK TALK TALK, and wait for him to leave, and you know he will hopefully never bother you again.

I know, you shouldn't have to deal with him, but I think you deserve some fun after what you have had to put up with.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 19, 2006, 07:39 PM
    ndx- check the last post date3/5/06 its been a while.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

~*please Read*~ [ 26 Answers ]

Hey you. I know that this is proably asked a lot and I know that you aren't doctors and can't for sure tell me.. but I'm only 17 and I'm scared. I've been having sex with my boyfriend and I was worried that I was pregnant from having some of the symptoms, o and I'm an idiot because we never use...

Making Sense of Mortgage Speak... [ 1 Answers ]

The bank is telling me I can get this mortgage. What does it mean in plain english, cause as they wrote it it makes no sense to me: "The loan product for the first mortgage is a monthly adjustable tied to one month libor plus a margin of 2.55 with a half of a point. The second is tied to prime...

Sense and Sensibility [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a question about Jane Austin's book "Sense and Sensibility". How can you compare Elinor's and Marianne's character? Thanks

View more questions Search