Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diannekw Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 05:24 AM
    Income tax fraud child tax credits
    I know a woman who had her four childre removed from her custody five years ago. Each year she uses their social security nunbers to receive tax credit. The state is paying the foster care family to support these children. Doesn't DCFS collaborate with the federal government? Perhaps the foster family is claiming the children as well.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 22, 2011, 06:34 AM

It would seem that either (a) the foster parents are not claiming the children as dependents (hence the IRS doesn't see that two different people are claiming the same children, or (b) they are both claiming the children and the IRS hasn't gotten around to investigating. But sooner or later they will investigate, and penalties will be assessed.

And no - the IRS doesn't keep some sort of master list of what children each person is allowed to claim as a dependent.
    Diannekw Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 06:55 AM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    Thank you so much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income tax fraud, immigration fraud [ 1 Answers ]

Some people have come to usa from different parts of the globe on visiting visa. After they have come here, some are getting contract marriages by paing some money in order to get immigration/green card. Even they are creating false bank statements, false rental agreements etc. though they are...

Are pre-tax IRA distributions earned income for the child tax credit? [ 2 Answers ]

Hopefully a CPA has a quick answer on this... When you take an early distribution from a pre-tax IRA, is it considered earned income for purposes of figuring tax credits like the child tax credit? I see nothing on the IRS site that makes it clear one way or another. However, considering the...

Tax software for calculating foreign tax credits on Form 1116 [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there. I wonder if anyone can advise me which is the best software for filling out Form 1116? I am using Turbotax 'Home and Business' and the IRS instructions together to fill mine out, but the IRS instructions are SO complicated and the Turbotax software assumes that you know a lot about...

Income Tax Credits [ 2 Answers ]

Where do you credit amounts received from the government as a tax credit from previous years?

View more questions Search