Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wwwaskm Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Fan Install of Existing ceiling lights
    Hello,

I have a switch that controls 2 lights in my living room, I would like to install a fan between the lights. Is there any way that I can tap juice off those lights without running another wire to an individual switch. The fan is remote controlled. My fear is that I obviously can't turn the fan on without the lights being on too. Ideally I would like the fan on with no lights. Any suggestions or interesting shortcuts.

Thank you
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Only if there is a hot wire in those ceiling boxes. Open the boxes of the lights and tell us what wires you see.
    wwwaskm Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
    If I look at the light, that I'm feeding off, it has a black white and ground. I think I'm in trouble. I would be in better shape if there was a red right? Like a 12/3 with 2 hots?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Basically. If there are only two wires (besides ground) in each of the light boxes, you can't do what you are asking. Be sure too look all the way up inside the boxes in case it's hiding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install a toilet in existing concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

How far do I go out from the exterior wall? What do I cut the concrete with? Thanks!!

Generator Install-Lights Flicker [ 4 Answers ]

After generator was installed (Generac Model 0052540 w/Auto Txfer) started to experience whole house "flicker" whenever any appliance turns on... tricky thing is, this happens even when we switch to 100% generator power. Power Co and Electrician have gone over "everything" and come up with...

How to install a stand pipe using existing plumbing [ 6 Answers ]

I'd like to convert the plumbing from a small "grease sink" to a stand pipe for my washer. Is this possible? Is the pipe's diameter too small to accommodate the pressure from the discharge of water from the washer? What's the recommended diameter of the pipes for a stand pipe?

Ceiling fan and lights go off and on [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 20 AMP circuits to my bathroom running off same circuit breaker. One circuit powers a ground fault receptacle and vanity lights. Other circuit powers ceiling fan, ceiling fan light, a ground fault receptacle and shower light. This circuit goes on and off but GF or breaker do not kick off....

View more questions Search