Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bunnynad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2006, 08:05 AM
    F1-H1B: whendoes the medicare/SSN tax clock start?
    My OPT is valid till June 13,2006 and H1 has started Oct 1 2006.My employer is not taking out SSN and Medicare out of my check.Would I be liable for it at the end of year.

What if I inform my employer and they still do not take it out,Would I still have to payit at the end of year.

Do you have a choice of fillinf on either one of the status
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 15, 2006, 04:33 PM
    You become liable for Medicare and Social Security taxes the day your H-1 visa becomes effective.

Your responsibility is to make sure your employer knows when the H-1 visa becomes effective. Collecting the taxes is the employer's responsibility. If the employer fails to collect those taxes, the IRS will NOT come to you for them. They hold the employer solely responsible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-H1B: whendoes the medicare/SSN tax clock start? [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently on OPT that will expire June 2007. In the meantime, my H1B has been approved for Oct 2006 onwards. On OPT I don't have to pay extra taxes for Social Security and Medicare but I guess as H1B I will have to. Now let's assume I get my h1B stamped on Nov 25. 1. Am I right that up to...

H1B FICA medicare tax question [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anybody here can answer a question regarding FICA/medicare taxes. I worked for a year after graduating from a master's program, but still in F1 status so I didn't have to pay FICA and medicare. Those taxes are now regularly deducted from my paycheck and I checked the social...

F-1 OPT, SSN and Medicare [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, This forum is very informative. Thanks for the input of Atlanta Tax Expert! I arrived in US in 1999 and I am on F-1 OPT since Sept 2005. I've heard that people on F-1 OPT are exempted from SSN and Medicare taxes. However, my employer said that since I've stayed in US for more than 5...

F1 opt claim ssn and medicare taxes [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Country of origin: syria I have been in the US since August 2001 on F1 visa. Only left the US for 30 days in August 2002(been in the us since then).. Started my OPT on July 2004. Then started working for a company... Offcourse they deducted SSN, medicare taxes from my paychecks.. ...

Need Advise for SSN and Medicare Tax Cut please ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently in H-1B visa. My employer is not cutting any SSN or Medicare taxes in my pay check. Before H-1 I was on my OPT. I wanted to know if the SSN and Medicare taxes are paid half by the employee and half by the employer.. Is this right ? And since my employer is not cutting any SSN...

View more questions Search