Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atmisk Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 12:13 AM
    asus p4s800d-x motherboard on 4gb ram and high cpu usage
    I would like to ask can the p4s800d-x run on 4gb of ram perfectly fine?
    the max number of rams for this motherboard is 4gb of ram
    I'm currently running on 1gb (2 sticks of 512mb ram)

another question I want to know is why is my computer's cpu usage getting pretty high around 60-100% most of the time when running certain programs but it didn't happen before around January

when not running any programs it would jump from 0% to 20-30% for no reason

when I would play counter strike source my frames are ridiculously low on some servers and that didn't happen before

I upgraded my old ATi 9250 for a x1300 256mb pro at the beginning of August last year

the slow frames didn't happen till September of 2006

leave comments or suggestions about my quarry
    blaze5874 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Sep 10, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Ok, first off. With most of the things your going to do you won't acctually need 4gigs of ram. 2gigs of RAM is generally a good amount to have.

As far as performance loss. My guess would be you have Virus/Spyware on your computer. If you don't have antivirus or spyware I would download. "AVG Antivirus" - "Spybot Search and Destroy" and "Ad-Aware" You can find these from Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com. Another thing that could be causing your spikes is the number of processes that you have running. Righclick on the Taskbar and select "Task Manager"

Make sure you are under the "Processes tab" I normally have 30-35 processes running. Any more than that and you probably have things slowing down your computer that doesn't need to be running.

If nothing else you could try reinstalling your OS if you feel comfortable doing so.
    atmisk Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 04:19 PM
    I have about 43 - 44 processes running and it was reformatted recently during the end of may

I used to use adaware and spybot but those really didn't help much

My current antivirus protection is McAffee and that's updating about 6 times a week

Not sure why there's spikes going around on my comp
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 07:01 AM
    I think that 2 gig of ram will do because if you have too much unused ram can also slow down your machine significantly. It all has to balance out;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CPU Usage? [ 2 Answers ]

I am running Windows XP, my ram is 1GB, my CPU usage has just now spiked to 100% and seems to stay there. I have just ran a anti spy ware and removed spyware found. But my CPU is still running at 100%. I have noticed in the Windows Task Manager under process running I have approximately many...

New motherboard,and cpu [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cumputer that I just put a new motherboard,and cpu into.I turned on the computer and the board and fans and the cd-rom drives work,but I can't get the monitor to show me anyhting.I have 512 ram installed,tried installing the new bios cd but can't get anything to happen.what am I doing...

Cpu usage [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I have recently gotten a new computer.. it was about about 2 months ago actually And everything with it has been perfect,but this morning it just got slower... I don't mean internet speed just like.. opening prgrams or installing things slower... I opened the task manager and its using...

Asus K8V SE deluxe motherboard [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone help me please? I have recently installed a new Asus K8V SE deluxemotherboard and AMD Athlon 64 CPU but can't get any image on the monitor - I have tried 3 monitors now. The graphics card is Tornado GeForce 2 MX400 (64MB, AGP). I have 512MB memory installed. I am wondering if the...

View more questions Search