Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jul 25, 2014, 02:56 PM
    Normal bend versus long bend
    I'm replacing 3”copper drain pipe with 3” PVC. The horizontal run is appx. five feet (toilets,sinks) then transitions to a vertical run, then another horizontal to the sewer. I was originally going to use 90 degree long throw bends at both transition points, then I was told a normal throw/bend is used at the horizontal to vertical points. Some research indicated this was correct, while others indicated that either a normal or long throw can be used. It appears that the long throw is to be used at the vertical to horizontal. My reason for the long throw at both locations is because of the waste solids. The copper was recycled so I don't know what type of bend was used originally.

So, at the horizontal to vertical point, is either bend acceptable? Is this something that is code specific or just a plumbing practice? Any concerns relating to flow with a normal throw/bend in this application?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 25, 2014, 04:11 PM
    Avoid using an elbow on PVC for a drain.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jul 25, 2014, 05:46 PM
    Ballen.. I agree but I'm not using an elbow or a vent ell. I shouldn't have used the 90 degree reference. What I'm referring to are bends or throws which have a large radius, one is normal/standard (?) and the other is the long throw.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 26, 2014, 07:26 AM
    On our rough ins we use 90's to transition from vertical to horizontal and from horizontal to vertical. On horizontal runs we use two ,45 degree bends or a long sweep ell. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lead bend [ 4 Answers ]

I'm almost 100% sure my toilet is leaking. Because, directly underneath it is our kitchen and where the toilet sits, on the kitchen ceiling I'm seeing moisture starting to form on the ceiling. So to make a long story short, took off the whole toilet, and I'm down to the 4' lead bend sticking up...

Replacing J bend [ 13 Answers ]

I have two masters degrees but I can't seem to understand how to replace a simple j bend under bathroom sink. The old metal pipe has a large hole in it, and basically just fell off when I began to loosen the nuts. I tried replacing the metal with a plastic j bend from Walmart. I don' think there...

Is a closet bend really necessary? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new here and have found this site quite informative while lurking over the past couple of weeks. I am in the process of converting a small office and guest room into a downstairs master bedroom/bath. I am trying to settle on a DWV layout that is simple and hopefully up to code. I...

Closet bend necessary [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling the bathroom and want to put a new flange on the toilet. The old one is cast iron with oakum? And lead connection to the closet bend. I would like to change to ABS but all the fittings (closet bends) that I find at the retail stores are too deep (>8 in to bottom) and put me below...

Lead bend [ 7 Answers ]

My master bath had a leak at the toilet so I pulled the toilet up and found that the closet flange and the lead bend where no good. The lead pipe is so bent and you can allmost put your finger threw it the lead bend goes into a cast pipe and I would like to replace the bend if anyone has a clue on...

View more questions Search