Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    merian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2006, 09:38 AM
    Difference between I-140 & I-485
    Hi all,

Just wanted to ask you if some one is on i140 or i485 are they allowed to work independently, can they call themselves as permanent residents of USA.
    If anyone has filled any of these forms, can they work for any other company without sponsorship, or they would still need one.
    findinfo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2006, 02:30 PM
    I-140:
    After I-140 is approved, one can change jobs in the same skillset, BUT one would need visa sponsership (and that means get a H1B visa). For getting green card after that, one would need to restart by applying for fresh labor certification/I-140/I-485.

I-485:
    After one has applied for I-485, one can get EAD after a few months, which can help one switch jobs without authorization.
    After I-485 is approved (which is when one gets a green card), one becomes a permanent resident and do anything. A work visa is not needed on green card.

This is just my opinion (I am in the middle of the process myself).
    So, Please seek a immigration lawyer for your specific issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The difference between stock price maximization & profit maximization? [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone could assist me in clarifying the difference between stock price maximizing and profit maximizing? Thank-You!

Difference between Volt & Wott [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone explain the difference between Volt & Wott with example ? I would be thankful to him/her if anyone can...

OPT->H1->EAD(from pending 485), tax treaty? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear tax expert, I was on OPT/F1 till 06/05, on H1 from 06/05 to 08/05, then I started using my EAD obtained from my pending 485 from 09/05. I understand I can file as resident and use 1040 base on the substantial presence test as it is over 183 days since I used H1. But there is no case example...

RS-485 Vs Ethernet [ 1 Answers ]

We have Programmable logic controllers that have two connections One is an Ethernet port RJ-45 The other is an RS-485 port RJ-11 I use an NIC for one and an RS-232 /RS-485 converter for the other What is the difference? Does the Ethernet use TC/IP? Do both use three wires? Is the data...

What's the difference? [ 4 Answers ]

;) Hi, Anyone knows the difference between "conversation" And "dialogue"? I appreciate your help.

View more questions Search