Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kingcjfam Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Fuse blown
    My central ac unit upstair (Goodman-zone 2) keeps blowing its fuse. What troubleshooting can I do to resolve this issue.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Where is the fuse located that is blowing? A little more info on your system would be helpful.

May 12, 2007, 05:42 PM
    My zone 2 equipment is in the attic. At the bottom of the unit, I removed the door and there is a fuse at the bottom. It is a plug in fuse similar to a car fuse. Once I place the fuse inside of the unit it runs for about 10 minutes then shut off again. I have checked my wires on the thermostat and that is fine.

May 12, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Oh yea my unit is about 4 years old. It is a split system ran by natural gas.
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2007, 05:47 PM
    That is a low voltage fuse. Is this an electric furnace? It sounds like you have a short in the low voltage somewhere. Does it blow when you turn the A/c on only?

May 12, 2007, 06:03 PM
    I used the heat this winter but I didn't turn the unit on until last week so I am unsure if this happens with the heat. I have the installation manual what info do you need to help troubleshoot?
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2007, 07:17 PM
    Well it could be as simple as a shorted coil on the contactor outside or broken control voltage wire between the furnace and the A/C unit. You need to start by taking the blower door off the furnace where the fuse is located, on the circuit board there will be the following terminals... C-common, -R- 24 volts usually a red wire, W-Heat usually a white wire, G-Fan Y- A/C contactor, there will be a cable with 2 wires usually red and white that run from the furnace to the outdoor unit, one will be hooked to common and the other "y" , go to the outdoor unit shut the power off and remove the cover those same 2 wires will be connected to 2 wires inside the unit that energise the contactor coil when the call for cooling is made disconnect those wires and be sure to mark them so that you know where they go, turn the system back on if the fuse doesn't blow then you have a bad contactor, if it does blow then remove the wire from the "y" terminal on the control board if it doesn't blow then the cable is bad between the furnace and a/c.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blown Fuse [ 1 Answers ]

A brief background before the problem occurred. This morning I was caught in a traffic jam, wherein I had to idle the car for about 15 minutes. Thereafter the driving was normal until I stopped at a traffic signal for over 145 seconds. This time I had switched off the engine. I was unable to...

Engine fuse blown, fixed, now stereo won't get power [ 2 Answers ]

The other day I had to jump my 95 nissan sentra. The cables got crossed and the main engine 75amp fuse got blown. I had it brought into the service shop and they made sure everything checked out and it all did, but the only problem I'm having is that the stereo doesn't seem to be working at all. ...

3 amp fuse blown [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Gas Furnace that is blowing the 3 amp fuse for the secondary 24 Vac. I have replaced the fuse and after the heat is on for awhile the fuse will blow and then I have cool air blowing. Please advise on how to troubleshoot problem.Thanks

AC not working-Thermostat fuse blown? [ 3 Answers ]

I was in my basement tonight where my furnace and blower unit is located. I heard a small click and saw a flash of white light out of the corner of my eye. Not knowing what it was I inspected the furnace, water heater, etc. I then noticed that the air did not kick in. I checked my bnew Carrier...

View more questions Search