Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimdavis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2009, 07:55 AM
    Living/Working Overseas; paying NJ income tax
    Hi, I am now a legal resident of a country overseas. This country doesn't have an income tax. I moved here from NJ where I was a resident, and will NOT return to NJ when I go back to USA. I do NOT own property in NJ as I was a renter there, but my stuff is in storage there. I still have a NJ drivers license and a professional license there, however there is no reason I could not apply for a professional license or store my belongings in another state instead. Do I need to pay NJ state income tax on my income overseas? I will of course pay NJ income tax on the income I earned in NJ prior to moving overseas. Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 04:19 PM
    Jim:

If you have established residency in a foreign country, then you have effectively changed your residence FROM New Jersey. After you file the tax return for the income earned in NJ, that will be your LAST tax return required for the state of New Jersey.

I assume you are retaining your U.S. citizenship. If so, you STILL must file a U.S. tax return each year for as long as you retain your U.S. citizenship.
    Radu62s Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2013, 04:14 PM
    I am a US citizen living abroad in Europe and working for a New Jersey company which has no office in Europe.
    What tax return I have to file for Federal Income tax and what are my NJ tax obligations?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 29, 2013, 06:06 PM
    You need to file Form 1040. If you are paying taxes to a European country, you can mitigate your U.S. federal tax obligation by claiming the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) or the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555), or a combination of the two.

If you maintain a home in Jew Jersey, or intend to return there to live, you must pay NJ income tax on your world-wide income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying tax whilst working overseas [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Australian citizen working on a private foreign flagged motor vessel in the Mediterranean, Our income is paid tax free does this mean I still have to pay tax in Australia? Can I bring my money earned O.S into Australia without being taxed? If so how do I do this? Any tax advice on this...

US citizen living overseas paying US state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US citizen residing permanently the UK(my last US residence was NJ in 1997). I do, however, occasionally earn income in the US, as a self-employed musician. This year, I worked in NY for 2 months, and KY for 5 days. I received 1099-MISC for both jobs(ie no state or federal taxes were...

Why am I paying NY tax on income earned partial year in PA while living in PA? [ 1 Answers ]

Help, I lived in PA for 2007 and remain a resident in 2008. I worked partial year in PA and worked remaining of the year in NY. While in NY, NY taxes were taken on income earned. Turbo tax showed that NY taxes are calculated on federal income. Why? I am paying taxes on both in PA because I am...

Divorce between 2 Americans living overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Uncomplicated by having had children, or for that matter, community property(all gone by the point of separation, 3 years ago) Alimony, adequate but not lavish, has been and will continue to be provided. We live in Vietnam. What is the most quick way to accomplish a divorce?

Living overseas and not working [ 2 Answers ]

So I lived in the UK from Dec 2001 till March of this year. I know I filed taxes for the tax year of the year I moved. But since then I have not worked, and there for not filed taxes, as my accountant mother instructed me to do. Now I have married a Brit and we are in the process of applying for...

View more questions Search