Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    otis3435 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2010, 05:02 AM
    Shower/tub drain lever.
    It's brass coated triangular shaped. Underneath it is a white plastic piece with like cogs on a wheel.
    This piece I can't remove to replace it as the nut is too shallow and can't get a wrench on it. Any ideas on how to remove this piece?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 21, 2010, 05:58 AM

Can you post a picture? Regards, Tom

May 21, 2010, 07:52 AM
    No, I don't know how to post pictures. Sorry. But, the cover was brass coated; kind of triangular shaped, which pulled right off. Underneath that is what the cover fit on to; white plastic wheel with spokes on it; and in the middle it a square nut of some type that is surrounded by a metal square, where the nut doesn't stick out far enough to get a wrench on it to loosen. This is the object I need to find out how to remove. Help me, speedball1.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 21, 2010, 08:42 AM
    Hi Otis...

Does the square nut have a slotted groove in it? If so, you can take a large flat screwdriver and try to loosen the nut that way.

If that doesn't work then you should try a 3/8" drive socket of the appropriate size... that should work... see images.

If not, let us know. Of course, you'll want to check back in case Speedball or others have more ideas... ;)

Mark
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 21, 2010, 01:42 PM

As Mark already suggested - we also use socket wrenches.

The nut should be brass, therefore it should go relatively easy. You just need to break the initial grip. You could also try sharp wood chisel and hammer and gently tap it CCW direction. Once loose, you will be able to unscrew it w/o problem.

Let us know how you did... Milo

May 21, 2010, 03:47 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions; however, I ended up breaking the plastic piece off, and now I've got a bolt and nut, which when loosened dislodges the whole drain pipe. All I wanted to do from the beginning was to replace the lever drain with a foot drain plug, but now I have to buy a whole new drain setup because the replacement drain I have has threads, and the one on there now does not, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    As Mark already suggested - we also use socket wrenches.

The nut should be brass, therefore it should go relatively easy. You just need to break the initial grip. You could also try sharp wood chisel and hammer and gently tap it CCW direction. Once loose, you will be able to unscrew it w/o problem.

Let us know how you did....Milo
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 21, 2010, 06:13 PM

Yes, if removed, it will always dislodge the drain piece hidden behind the tub - may it be Oveflow piece or Drain. You have to work with it very carefully so you don't lose the drain piece. New overflow assembly comes with all parts needed to switch from Trip-Lever Drain Assembly to Foot Drain assembly.

It would be very helpful if you would snap photos of both the Overflow and Drain so we can get better visual.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub drain plunger separated from trip lever assembly [ 1 Answers ]

I had a plumber fix a tub drain plunger. Apparently, instead of fixing or adjusting the old type (lever to visible stopper), he must have replaced it with a newer type (lever to internal stopper). Problem is that the lever is now disconnected from the internal stopper. The eye hook at the bottom of...

Replacing tub drain with tile-in shower drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm replacing my bath tub with a tile shower that will have a mud pan. As a result I need to install a tile-in drain. My understanding is that the surface of the drain with all the top pieces removed needs to be flush with the concrete foundation. For the current tub drain installation...

Tub drain - darining slow, stopper lever broken off [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in a rental w/ a non-responsive landlord and need to fix my bathtub drain. It used to drain fine until one day when I cleaned it w/ ajax. I may have bumped the cover where the drain stop lever is supposed to be; it is broken off. (it could be simply soap scum down the drain, but the...

Shower weep hole drain turned into tub drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my shower to a roman tub. The existing drain is a weep hole drain. Is there a plug for these type of drains? The idea is to use the same drain system and hot mop, tile, etc. around it.

View more questions Search