Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cml32063 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 07:13 AM
    AC Circuit Breaker Tripping
    My Trane AHU/CU cools great except that twice in the last 2 weeks the circuit breaker has tripped. Both times I have noticed it has got hotter in the house, I go out in the garage and the AHU Blower is blowing but the CU is not running. I check the panel and the circuit breaker is tripped. I reset it and the CU comes on and it cools great.:confused:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Oh how I hate intermittant problems:

Troubleshooting might involve:
    1. Check operating pressures (service call)
    2. Insulation test of compressor (service call)

So likely problems might be compressor breaking down and/or junk in the refrigerent lines.

An unlikely issue is that the system was moved from off to on without waiting and the thermostat/unit doesn't have an anti-short cycle delay.

It's hard to pop that breaker.
    hoseb2000 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 03:23 PM
    It is also possible that the circuit breaker is weak and tripping due to that issue or the wires at the breaker are loose and overheating the breaker .
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Lots of queations I would need answered. New home with up to date wiring? Is your breaker big enough for the condensers amp draw? Does your conderser. Or thermostat have a time delay for restart? Is your condenser clean. If you have an old mercury thermostat, that is most likely your problem. Especially if you condenser is older than your thermostat. I would try a new thermostat if this is the case.
    cml32063 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 04:33 AM
    Home is 4 years old... I checked the wires to the breaker yesterday... they were tight... AC was running great... But the breaker was warm, not hot when I checked it and the AC had been running

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit fails without tripping breaker [ 4 Answers ]

I was ironing the other day when the circuit went dead. When I went to the box, the circuit breaker was not tripped. But I turned it off and back on anyway. An overhead light on the circuit went on briefly and then all went dead again without tripping the breaker. When my main handy one came...

Circuit Breaker Tripping [ 1 Answers ]

We have installed a electrical box on the home that houses a 20 amp fuse w:gfi off the meter, then ran the wires to a outdoor box w: a gfi plug & a on/off switch. Seems to be wired correctly, but the 20 amp fuse keeps tripping. Thank You in Advance for any help, Michael

Outside unit is tripping the circuit breaker [ 5 Answers ]

My Outside AC , which is a pretty old unit( 15+) recently started tripping the circuit breaker. If I go and turn the circuit breaker back on the unit will run for about five minutes then trip the circuit breaker again. Is it time to replace the unit? My AC repair guy did tell us last summer...

Hot tub circuit breaker tripping [ 1 Answers ]

I have had this hot tub for about 6 years. It has a history of blowing an internal 20 amp fuze. But, lately it runs a little while and then trips the circuit breaker. Any ideas?

Window mount AC tripping circuit breaker [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a new air conditioner that is on it's own circuit. The breaker is new and rated at 15 amps. The air conditioner is supposed to use 15 amps at peak. I believe the wire to the outlet is rated at 15 amp. The air conditioner has it's own circuit breaker on the plug which has...

View more questions Search