Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crazy1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 06:22 PM
    Ceiling fan with 2 speed control switches
    Hi, I was wondering if it was any way possible to hook up 2 control switches to 1 ceiling fan? The fan is at top of stairs and connected to a high ceiling so if this were possible it would be so much of a convenience instead of always running up the stairs to turn on fan. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 06:33 PM
    Unless there is a wireless remote that can be used, to hardwire two switches can be done as in the photo of a 3 way switch diagram, just eliminate the 4 way if is does not apply.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 06:58 PM
    Understand that these are basic on-off switches. It becomes a different story if you are talking about being able to control speeds from two switches.
    crazy1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2006, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    Understand that these are basic on-off switches. It becomes a different story if you are talking about being able to control speeds from two switches.
    Actually yes, that is what I wondering; if that is at all possible? Someone had told me at Lowe's to use 2 3way dimmer switches but can't figure out how to hook them up. I have 14-3 wired to both switches.
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Be careful of using dimmers , be sure it is rated for fan motors. Not sure if they make speed controls in 3 way but some dimmers can handle fans.

Check here:
    www.lutron.com

For two 3 way dimmers to control a fan, there should be three wires, one is the common, and wire as the diagram. You will find sample wiring diagrams for the dimmers at Lutron site.

There are many to chose from.
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2006, 05:27 PM
    Using a 3 way control, you would be able to control speeds from one location, and only switch on and off from the other. Do NOT use dimmers.

The only way to get speed control from two locations is to use a remote kit with two switches.
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2006, 03:53 AM
    Yes, you may need or could use a remote, as ceilingfanrepair mentions. Or you can use X-10 devices.

The remote may be better and/or cheaper. Check with ceilingfanrepair thou as to their reliability.
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2006, 12:24 PM
    Never thought about X10. I know they didn't used to have dedicated ceiling fan speed controls, do they offer that now?

You're pretty much SOL as to finding a reliable remote kit, but you can improve your chances. Go with the kind where the switches hard-wire into the wall, since this is what you want anyway. Don't get Hampton Bay (or Harbor Breeze) if you can help it, you're better off with a name brand like Hunter or Emerson. At least, I hear about the "H"s failing all the time and have rarely heard of a Hunter, Emerson etc remote failing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3-speed fan control switch wire connection [ 23 Answers ]

Inside housing case are two boxes. One box has #1,2,3,and letter L. The other box has 1 red wire glued in silicone. There are two cords running into housing case. A gray cord coming from fan's motor with 5 wires: White,yellow,blue,gray,green w/white stripe. A black cord (two prong plug) with...

3 speed ceiling fan only has 1 speed [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 speed Hunter ceiling that I rarely turn off and all 3 speeds had been working. I recently turned it off and when I turned it back on, only the high speed is working. I assumed the switch was bad and replaced it. I still only have the High speed. Has anyone had this problem before? ...

Ceiling fan with light kit on separate switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced a ceiling fan with light kit with a newer model. I hooked up the wires from the new fan/light to the same wires in the ceiling box that the old fan was hooked up to. There are two switches on the wall plate, one for the light and one for the fan. When I hooked up the new...

Wall Speed control on old ceiling fan install new with pull switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old celing fan purchased in the 80's with a wall mount speed control knob. I purchased a Hampton Bay, Huntinton III 522-306 3 speed control with a pull chain. When installing the unit the fan does not work. I have a white wire, a black wire, a blue wire for the light and a ground...

Ceiling Fan single switch/Light two 3-way switches [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire... Ceiling Fan with Light switched separately. Light to be controlled by two 3-way switches and fan controlled by a separate single switch. :confused:

View more questions Search