Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TkNeo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Social Security + Medicare. Didn't pay !
    Hi, This is in regards to your response on this thread.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/s...are-21999.html

I have a couple of questions if anyone can help...

My employer doesn't deduct my Social Security since I was on H1B (oct 2005). I think he is not aware of the fact that I am also supposed to pay social security+medicure.

Now should not pay the 2006 social security + medicare as its my employer's responsibility and IRS will deal with him.

Would my green card application get affected when they find out I didn't pay social security + medicare in 2006 and assuming my employer doesn't pay it either...

Thanks for your time!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 28, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Sorry for the delay in answering; there was a glitch in the updating process on my computer.

It will NOT affect your Green Card application. Payment of FICA taxes is an EMPLOYER's responsibility; the IRS has been consistent about that for decades.

If you properly notified your employer about your visa status and he still failed to withhold the FICA taxes, then the fault rests with the employer, not you, and the employer's failure will NOT reflect negatively on you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-h1 social security and medicare [ 6 Answers ]

I am an indian citizen employed in the usa. My status for 2005 was : Jan-Oct : F1/OPT Oct-Dec : H1 My employer deducted social security and medicare taxes from oct-dec when I was on h1. While filing taxes, my tax consultant told me that since social security and medicare are charged per...

Social Security and Medicare [ 7 Answers ]

Reply to My question The withholding of Social Security and Medicare taxes from the employee is the sole responsibility of the employer. If he fails to do it, the employer becomes responsible to pay both the employer's and the employee's share of the Social Security and Medicare taxes. The...

Social security and medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on H1B. My payroll dept forgot to deduct my social and medicare taxes from my paycheck AND it continued to deduct taxes as per F1. So do I need to pay my medicare and social now with 2005 tax returns? If yes How should I pay those taxes, which forms should I use? Thanks

F1 student for 7 years, now on OPT, should I pay social security & medicare tax? I am [ 2 Answers ]

F1 student for 7 years, now on OPT, should I pay social security & medicare tax? I am from China. My H-1 may be approved for starting this Oct.

View more questions Search