Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Mar 9, 2006, 12:24 PM
    How do you connect to a T1 network from home?
    If you are eventually going to work from your home for your company, are you able to connect to your companies T1 service from home and if so how do you do this?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 9, 2006, 12:27 PM
    Unless your company is willing to install a T1 straight to your house, you will be limited to the speed of your own Broadband connection.
    A T1 is a very expensive installation for home use.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 12:30 PM
    What are you doing that you would need a dedicated high speed line?

Mar 9, 2006, 12:38 PM
    I gues a T1 line is not necessary for what I'm doing, I just have to have a broadband connection since I will need a connection on all day, if I can ever get it to work:(... I just wondered if you could be directly connected to your companies T1 line but I guess you can't. Thanks
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 12:57 PM
    The benefit you would get would be a direct connection to your company's network for shared resources and email. Most companies simply have the employee use a DSL/cable connection and install VPN access to the network resources.

Mar 9, 2006, 01:10 PM
    Or just hook me up with DSL and give me a voip phone...

Mar 9, 2006, 01:11 PM
    Since my company is an isp and my main page is the companies website.
    THanks for all of your help
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2006, 01:15 PM
    What you are talking about is a VPN. T1s are very specialized nowadays. They are are used where high volume data transfer is necessary. They also cost much more than other broadband alternatives.

Your company should have a VPN setup where you can connect to your company's network using your broadband connection. That's what I do when I work from home. Its not quite as speedy as being in the office, but its close.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 9, 2006, 01:45 PM
    Cgirl,

I too used to work for an ISP and I had a T1 connection to my house. It was a benefit that wasn't afforded to everyone in the company but only to those that needed it. Since I was part of the core engineering team I managed to get one (after sweet talking mgmt into it of course).

Could I have settled for a VPN across my Cable Modem? Absolutely. And today that's the norm. In my area, Cable is 4Mbps download and 384Kbps uplink. I use it for everything while I'm at home and when I'm connected to my work I even use it for VoIP. It isn't perfect but it does work fine for VoIP 99% of the time. I have a desktop at work which I can RDP to and it works practically as if I'm in the office since RDP does not use a whole lot of bandwidth. As far as VoIP goes, you may want to consider a "soft phone" which is a software based VoIP phone. Check with your IT folks on how to set that up.

Good luck

Casey

Mar 9, 2006, 01:51 PM
    We use cisco IP 7960 series... is that a soft phone?
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 9, 2006, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgirl
    we use cisco IP 7960 series...is that a soft phone?
    No, that's the actual phone. Since you are a Cisco environment then what you need is either the "Cisco Softphone" or "Cisco IP Communicator". The IP Communicator is basically a newer piece of software that is significantly better than the old "softphone".

The IP Communicator is basically software that installs on your desktop. You'll need a microphone and speakers of course to operate it. You start your VPN connection and then fire up IP Communicator and then you can use it as if you're in the office. As a matter of fact, if someone dials your office phone and you happen to have IP Communicator up and running on your PC through the VPN then your IP Communicator will ring as well. It is very flexible. Here's more info from the Cisco web site:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...475/index.html

I'm sure if there are other vendors out there that do VoIP that they'd have similar features. I'm only familiar with Cisco's VoIP technology.

Good Luck

Casey

Mar 10, 2006, 08:10 AM
    Thanks, I appreciate the info:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home network problems [ 31 Answers ]

I can not get my two home computers to link up since I have returned from a 2 month holiday. I have a computer downstairs hooked up to broadband and an ethernet cable running upstairs which links the two and usually works fine. Now all I can get is the little computers with a yellow exclamation...

Cannot connect 1 of 3 pcs to our network [ 6 Answers ]

2 of our 3 xp router hard wired lan pcs see each other. 1 cannot even ping its own IP even though it connects to the Internet just fine. I've done the typical troubleshooting. It's the newest and strongest PC of the 3.

Home Network Problems [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to setup a Home network with two XP computers. The system keeps telling me that my cable is unplugged yet after hrs of trouble shooting I can not find the problem. Everything I checked on the Eithernet card show both working properly. I even took one of the cards out and replaced...

I need to connect my 2 home computers [ 23 Answers ]

On one internet connection. I am afraid to go wireless, because one computer is on the second floor of the house and the other in the basement game room. I want to know if a router (and the most cost effective one to get) would work with our computers. The basement computer has Windows 98 and...

How to connect two computers together by a wireless network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I am new in Communication and networking so please your answer must be in details... My computer in the living room with windows XP home edition.. the other computer with windows 2000 with servie pack 4 in my kids bed room.. my wirelss router is linksys connected to my computers and...

View more questions Search