Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2004, 05:27 PM
    How I can get a friend out of her house legally?
    Ok. My friend is living with her grandparents and they treat her like crap. They abuse her both emotionally and physically and she wants out. She is 16, and still in school. Is there a way I can get her out of the house with out getting in trouble? Please help me! Every time she tries to leave they threaten to call the cops on her. I need to know as soon as possible. Please any help is appreciated, Thanks.
    jmooooo Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 08:41 AM
    Are you the same age? Are they really treating her badly as you say, or, are you and she typical teenagers that dramitize not being able to hang out, do as you want as being abuse?
    I imagine, she fights with them allowing her to do as she pleases. What kind of grades does she get. Does she smoke?
    Why is she with her grandparents in the first place. Death of parents? Or, did she not like or get abused by them?
    Your not telling the whole story to determine the truth or solution to the problem.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joey
    Ok. My friend is living with her grandparents and they treat her like crap. They abuse her both emotionally and physically and she wants out. She is 16, and still in school. Is there a way I can get her out of the house with out getting in trouble? Please help me! Every time she tries to leave they threaten to call the cops on her. I need to know as soon as possible. Please any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Hi Joey! It is very difficult for someone to get emancipated - which basically means that the person is in charge of herself, no guardian - at age 16. The Courts look at how she's going to support herself and it's pretty impossible at that age. If there are big problems occasionally the person with custody - the Grandparents - will agree to the emancipation but then you still have to have a backup plan on where you're going to live, who is going to support you.

Do the Grandparents have legal custody?

And, yes, if she leaves they can always drag her back.

(Has she tried a school counsellor or the like to see if maybe this can be worked out? Or has it gone beyond that?)
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Feb 7, 2008, 09:46 AM
    Not to steep on anyone's toes but if her grandparents are threaten to call the cops on her she must of did something wrong. If you feel like she needs help tell her to tell her grandparents next time to call the cops. If your friend is in the right then I am sure the police will take care of it. You need to keep in mind that we all have been 16 and we all look back and think to ourselves how bad I was to my parents at that age. You will understand when you get older. Did this help you out?
    bworkins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 09:55 AM
    I am needing to get a copy of my bankruptcy discharge. I have contacted the local court house and cannot seam to get a return,then called the attorney I used and they want to charge me, how can I get this information for free?
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Feb 7, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bworkins
    I am needing to get a copy of my bankruptcy discharge. I have contacted the local court house and cannot seam to get a return,then called the attorney I used and they want to charge me, how can I get this information for free?
    You have posted this in someone's area. You need to open your own question in another area. Sorry. This well help people answer your question.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bworkins

You are in the wrong forum... but it should be public record - don't call, go to the Federal Courthouse, look it up, ask for a copy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I Going To Legally Responsible For Her Debts? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I've been hooked up with a lady for over 12 years now and we're beginning to talk marriage. Problem is that she has a huge backlog of bills and debts while I own my home clear, have no outstanding bills and have a AAA credit rating. Question; If we got married would I be responsible...

Friend poached another friend! Advice? [ 11 Answers ]

I had never had this feeling before, but last summer I felt like one of my friends was poaching another, as in they were going to be friends with each other INSTEAD of me, not in addition to me. A series of events happened in a few days (friend #1 supposed to come early to help with my...

Can vets legally spay or neuter pitbulls if they are banned? [ 9 Answers ]

Even though pitbulls are banned here in ontario canada, will the vet still spay or nueter a pitbull puppy or will they have to put it down?

Am I legally obligated to work with a debt collector ? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a letter in the mail today from a debt collector in regards to a medical Bill. I had called the original creditor in November of 2004 explianing that because of overwheling medical debts I was unable to make payments at this time. I then sent another letter in March of 2005 stating...

View more questions Search