Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hannemie123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 08:32 PM
    civil suit by creditor
    Made last payment on car Oct. 2, 2002,car was picked up and sold BELOW fair market value. Now (April 23) was served with court papers re. suit to obtain judgement against me for difference between sale price of car and the loan. Live in Texas. 1. does 4 year statue of limitations apply to this? 2. has car being sold too cheap have any bearing on this.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Apr 30, 2007, 02:27 PM
    I cannot answer for the statue of limitations, but to your second question: I can say that they can sell the car for any value and you will owe the difference.

More info on the Statue of Limitations can be found here:
    Statute of limitations on debt collection
    Statute of Limitations defense for disputing debts!

A few things that stood out to me was:
    Although the statute of limitations has expired (the time allotted to legally enforce the debt in court) collectors can still attempt to collect expired debts (unless they were discharged in bankruptcy) and even take you to court to try and enforce the collection of debts. However, if you meet your state's qualifying criteria and raise the "Expired Statute of Limitations" defense, the case is generally dismissed on the spot.
    Warning! As stated earlier, even though the statute of limitations has expired and you are unable to pay the debt, you can still be hauled into court. So, you must appear in court to raise the expired statute of limitations (SoL) defense. If you fail to appear in court, collectors stand an excellent chance of obtaining a default judgment.
    However, it's worth mentioning that, in most cases items that are repossessed are often sold at auction for far below what is owed. The result is an unsecured debt that the debtor is still responsible for and expected to pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contractor Suit [ 3 Answers ]

Next month I will be representing myself in small claims court (called Warrant in Debt in Virginia). I am suing a contractor who installed tile in my bedroom suite. The tile began popping up and coming loose within a month of installation. My question is pretty basic: Do I present my...

Wrongful suit [ 2 Answers ]

I'm currently being sued for credit card debt that's not my debt. Collection agency is suing me because I happen to be the only person in this area listed in phone book with that name. After responding to summons there law firm sent me stipulation to sign saying they would drop action but neither...

Civil Suit [ 7 Answers ]

Civil Suit -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I owned a mobile home about 3 years ago and was young and dumb, got into a high interest rate loan and could not make payments, voluntarily left and have been renting ever since. Now 3 years later am...

Civil Suit [ 1 Answers ]

I owned a mobile home about 3 years ago and was young and dumb, got into a high interest rate loan and could not make payments, voluntarily left and have been renting ever since. Now 3 years later am being sued I questioned the debt of about $35,000 when the loan was only $39,000, asking for the...

Suit [ 1 Answers ]

I'm going to a evening concert, (jazz). Does a light tan suit sound OK. What shirt color??

View more questions Search