Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rickjosh19 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2009, 02:19 PM
    Calculating the different number of cases and describing them
    The council is ordering pizza for their next meeting. There are 20 council members, 7 of whom are vegetarian. A committee of 3 will order 6 pizza from a pizza shop that has a special for a large pizza with up to 3 toppings. The shop offers 10 toppings.

The committee wants as much variety as possible in the toppings. They decide to order each topping exactly once and to have at least 1 topping on each pizza. Describe the different cases possible when distributing the toppings this way.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2009, 05:04 PM

6 pizzas / 20 members = 0.3 pizza per member. If you have 7 vegitarians, you need at least 3 meatless pizzas (7 members * 0.3 pizzas/member = 2.1 pizzas). Since you don't know what the toppings are, I'm not sure what you do with this.

6 pizzas with 1 topping on each pizza means you use 6 toppings and have 4 toppings left over. You can have a) 2 pizzas with 3 toppings and 4 with only 1 topping, or you can have b) 1 pizza with 3 toppings and 2 pizzas with 2 toppings and 3 pizzas with only 1 topping, or you can have 4 pizzas with 2 toppings and 2 with only one topping.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 1, 2009, 07:16 PM
    Hello rickjosh

When you share 6 pizza's with 20 people, that means 6/20 = 0,3 pizza per person maximal. As this does not work out with the number of possible toppings (3 per pizza max) you will have several angry politicians because they get less pizza (or a collection of some very small added slices) than their peers. And the distribution of pizza slices will be a total mess.

Besides that : will a vegetarian accept 1/3 of a pizza that has a meat topping on the remaining 2/3 only ? Does not sound very 'kosher'! Specially attention for the cheese cover of that pizza, as some vegetarians also refuse milk products.

I strongly suggest to give the town clerk a cheap calculator, so that he/she can calculate the extra cost for ordering 7 pizza's. Or collect some money to pay for the additional pizza. This will produce 21 slices of 1/3 pizza each, it will be easier to distribute and share, and keep the meeting more pleasantly. And the mayor can have the remaining 1/3 pizza to build-up some extra strength against the continuously infighting council members...

===

There are 10 different toppings. If you buy 7 pizza's you have 7 x 3 toppings (of any type).
    With 20 people that means that at least two people share the same topping.
    As to the vegetarian toppings : I doubt that there are 3 or more different vegetarian toppings.
    So I hold further calculations till that info becomes available... :)
    devil0101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2009, 10:39 AM

to rickjosh => bro if you are taking ilc mdm4u course. Can you email me at [email protected]. I need some help for the last 2 units.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 09:36 PM

Note the original posting date.
    bacardiONICE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2010, 02:51 PM
    Hey there I was wondering if you did the mdm4u-B exam. If so do you remember anything about the exam? And also should I rely on the practice test? Thanks ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating the different number of cases and describing them [ 2 Answers ]

The council is ordering pizza for their next meeting. There are 20 council members, 7 of whom are vegetarian. A committee of 3 will order 6 pizza from a pizza shop that has a special for a large pizza with up to 3 toppings. The shop offers 10 toppings. The committee wants as much variety as...

What is the name of the outdoor toy I am describing? [ 2 Answers ]

As a kid, me & my brother had a toy we played with outdoors. We would stand a distance from each other & hold two handles each. There was a rugby shaped ball at the centre & it would fly between us on two ropes. If it flew towards you & you weren't quick enough, it would bang on the handles & hurt...

Calculating the number of atoms in a formula [ 1 Answers ]

How many C atoms are in 1.0 mole of ethyl acetate (CH3COOC2H5)? How do I calculate that?

Describing Your Age [ 4 Answers ]

Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we're kids? If you're less than ten years old, you're so excited about aging that you think in fractions. "How old are you?" "I'm four and a half." You're never 36 and a half... You're four and a half going on 5. ...

View more questions Search