Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    the_new_steph Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Ex Left Property at My House.Can I Dispose of it? - Urgent
    Ok, long story short... nasty divorce. Towards the end, I moved a bunch of his stuff into storage and offered him the key, had the locks changed because per the property settlement arrangement, he wasn't supposed to be in the house anyway.

He tricked a locksmith into opening the house and started taking some other stuff out... joint stuff. At that point, he could've taken everything that was listed on the property settlement as mine and I wouldn't have given a crap.

Anyway, he's been off and on saying that I took some of his stuff, said it was a long list, but never really got too specific except on one or two thing... things I SPECIFICALLY remember packing. Even told him which box it was, box was labeled, etc.

It's almost time to sign the divorce papers and now he's demanding a book that I never saw while we were together, never saw while packing his stuff, and I have ripped the house up top to bottom trying to find it. Can't find it. Also, he left a bunch of his junk still here. Some stinky shirts, a few ties, some computer parts, and a desk. He signed the quit claim on the house back in September.

I mean honestly, the cops were called that day he broke in and they said... "He's getting the last of his stuff. Let him get the last of the stuff today and he's gone." And the stuff that is at my house is what he left here.

He's finally backed off about saying I stole stuff (I demanded to know where the police report was filed and asked for a list of the stuff... all of a sudden, the huge list is down to 1 book). I've told him at least 5 times about the stuff he left here at the house. And he's never made an effort to come and get it.

I can't take it to his place cause I don't know where he lives. I can't take it to his work, he works in a lab. I don't know where he parks his car.

At what point can I dispose of this computer junk? Also, he never mentioned this book to me until mid February. At what point when a person abandons their junk at a residence does it become abandoned? I was told it was 90 days. That would've been at the end of December 2007. I live in Virginia, so does he.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by the_new_steph
    Ok, long story short.....nasty divorce. Towards the end, I moved a bunch of his stuff into storage and offered him the key, had the locks changed because per the property settlement arrangement, he wasn't supposed to be in the house anyway.

He tricked a locksmith into opening the house and started taking some other stuff out....joint stuff. At that point, he could've taken everything that was listed on the property settlement as mine and I wouldn't have given a crap.

Anyway, he's been off and on saying that I took some of his stuff, said it was a long list, but never really got too specific except on one or two thing...things I SPECIFICALLY remember packing. Even told him which box it was, box was labeled, etc.

It's almost time to sign the divorce papers and now he's demanding a book that I never saw while we were together, never saw while packing his stuff, and I have ripped the house up top to bottom trying to find it. Can't find it. Also, he left a bunch of his junk still here. Some stinky shirts, a few ties, some computer parts, and a desk. He signed the quit claim on the house back in September.

I mean honestly, the cops were called that day he broke in and they said...."He's getting the last of his stuff. Let him get the last of the stuff today and he's gone." And the stuff that is at my house is what he left here.

He's finally backed off about saying I stole stuff (I demanded to know where the police report was filed and asked for a list of the stuff....all of a sudden, the huge list is down to 1 book). I've told him at least 5 times about the stuff he left here at the house. And he's never made an effort to come and get it.

I can't take it to his place cause I don't know where he lives. I can't take it to his work, he works in a lab. I don't know where he parks his car.

At what point can I dispose of this computer junk? Also, he never mentioned this book to me until mid February. At what point when a person abandons their junk at a residence does it become abandoned? I was told it was 90 days. That would've been at the end of December 2007. I live in Virginia, so does he.

It varies from State to State. I don't know about Virginia. You are close to signing divorce papers so you must have an Attorney - what does he/she say?

If you don't know where to find him contact one of his family members - you must have someone's address if you were married to him - and make arrangements to drop it off there.

If you dispose of his "stuff" you will only open the door to more aggravation. Send it back to him.
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Concerning the book - how expensive can a book be? If you want him gone buy him a replacement book. He'll probably come up with something else that he wants but that would be my thought.
    the_new_steph Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 12:07 PM
    My lawyers say he's full of poop and is just trying to mess with my head.

He's saying it's a signed first edition book.

I looked it up on Amazon... about $130 for a signed first edition. I don't have that kind of money, I'm in bankruptcy right now.

He has already made about $14,500 off this divorce that he did not deserve or earn or was entitled to. Plus I just paid $500 to finish the divorce depositions. He did not contribute a cent towards this, even though he wants it worse than me.

He keeps pestering me about the divorce papers and this book.

Part of me is skeptical about this book. He has shown himself time and again to be a liar. If he had a signed first edition of someone that if given the chance, he would perform oral acts on just because... *THEY ARE MY FAVORITE AUTHOR EVER*... even if I was in a rush, I'd consider that to be a Prized Possession, and would make sure that it came with me to my new place. Or I would have asked for it within 2 weeks of moving out.

Wouldn't you agree?
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2008, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by the_new_steph
    My lawyers say he's full of poop and is just trying to mess with my head.

He's saying it's a signed first edition book.

I looked it up on Amazon....about $130 for a signed first edition. I don't have that kind of money, I'm in bankruptcy right now.

He has already made about $14,500 off this divorce that he did not deserve or earn or was entitled to. Plus I just paid $500 to finish the divorce depositions. He did not contribute a cent towards this, even though he wants it worse than me.

He keeps pestering me about the divorce papers and this book.

Part of me is skeptical about this book. He has shown himself time and again to be a liar. If he had a signed first edition of someone that if given the chance, he would perform oral acts on just because.....*THEY ARE MY FAVORITE AUTHOR EVER*......even if I was in a rush, I'd consider that to be a Prized Possession, and would make sure that it came with me to my new place. Or I would have asked for it within 2 weeks of moving out.

Wouldn't you agree?

Well, now that you've asked - if he "made" $14,500 from the divorce that he was not entitled to and you ended up in bankruptcy I would gave switched Attorneys a long time ago and, yes, if he would go away and I already were in bankruptcy I'd buy him the $130 book.

Would I choke on doing it, yes. Would I do it to get rid of him, yes.

If your Attorneys say he's messing with your head, he probably is. Of course, those same Attorneys apparently cost you $14,500 - and so..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pictures of old girlfriend, too hard to dispose of? [ 42 Answers ]

Okay, ill give you the background of the story to better understand my point. My boyfriend and I live together, I moved in with him like 2 months ago. Were talking about having a family & everything.. the usual for couples, so I was cleaning under his bed and in a shoebox that he has a piece of...

Father passed away, left small piece of property [ 1 Answers ]

When I was 15 my father passed away and left a piece of property in Alaska to me as outlined in the will. How do I get the property transfrred from his name to my name? My uncle pat, my dad's brother, was the executor of the estate. Can he transfer it to me or do I have to go thro probate?...

Inherited Tax on Property left by my Father [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of selling my home that I inherited from my father. The sale proce is 300,000. Do I have to pay any taxes for my property. The property in located in Las Vegas, NV. Tracy

Left Over House Bricks [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a house and with it came a pile of left over grey bricks in the back yard. What can I do with them? Some are solid on all four sides and others have grooves on two sides. Any suggestions?

Left property after death, brother wants us out [ 10 Answers ]

My fiancés father passed away and left him our house and a commercial piece of property that is used in our business. The trust states that he is to receive the properties and up to 20% of the trust. Now the brother is wanting to evict us because my fiancé won't agree to the offers they have made...

View more questions Search