Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tumbleweed74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2006, 02:38 PM
    Dark blonde to brown
    My natural hair color is a darker blonde. In January of this year I went to a stylist and had them dye my hair a darker brown. I really liked it, but it continually faded/washed out from day one... even though I bought shampoo and conditioner from the stylist for colored hair and I didn't use "hot" water. After a few months my hair had a green tinge to it and was a BLAH brown. I was told that the stylist must have used a color that had Ash tones in it and that is what caused the green cast. A few months ago I bought a blonde color from the drug store and colored my hair myself. It turned out fine, but now I have the dreaded roots. I would like to go back to a dark blonde/light brown but I am afraid that it will just fade/washout again. Is there something that I should put on my hair BEFORE I color to open the pores and make the color "attach"?

Thanks in advance
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Aug 29, 2006, 11:59 PM
    To go from blonde to brown, you will need to first put red tones in your to get a decent brown color. If you try to color blonde hair to brown, you will end up with a green cast. Apparently, your hairstylist wasn't aware of it. Some ash colors can leave a green hue on your hair also.

It's difficult to change your hair to blonde. I do not recommend doing it yourself. Please go to the salon and have them fix your hair. To keep the color from fading, use a shampoo and conditioner that's designed for color treated hair.
    tumbleweed74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2006, 10:25 AM
    Prettylady,

Thanks for responding. So, do you recommend that I first put a red color on my hair and then a brown or would a brown color with red tones in it work?

I want my hair to be more brown than red.

Thanks
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Sep 4, 2006, 08:08 PM
    You're welcome, sweetie. First, you will need to put back the red tones in your hair and then you can color it brown.
    Kennedy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed74
    My natural hair color is a darker blonde. In January of this year I went to a stylist and had them dye my hair a darker brown. I really liked it, but it continually faded/washed out from day one.... even though I bought shampoo and conditioner from the stylist for colored hair and I didn't use "hot" water. After a few months my hair had a green tinge to it and was a BLAH brown. I was told that the stylist must have used a color that had Ash tones in it and that is what caused the green cast. A few months ago I bought a blonde color from the drug store and colored my hair myself. It turned out fine, but now I have the dreaded roots. I would like to go back to a dark blonde/light brown but I am afraid that it will just fade/washout again. Is there something that I should put on my hair BEFORE I color to open the pores and make the color "attach"?

Thanks in advance
    Hello I think the best thing for you to do (if you have not already done this is to - first go back to the place you got your hair done and ask why this has happened, you should only get a green tinge from your hair if the stylist has not put a red dye into the hair first before putting in the red, I once had this friend and she had a turned her hair bright orange, well my aunt if a stylist and what she done was put a cherry red onto the hair to put warm colour tones back in and then put a light brown on her hair came out a lovely colour and she was really happy with it. Try this and see if it works for you. Good Luck :)
    Charlottee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 06:04 AM
    Before I died my hair to dark brown I was brown & blonde but now I'm bored of being dark and want to get back blonde but scared it will **** my hair up. WHAT SHALL I DO??
    roma1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 10:38 AM
    Hi

I recently dye my hair from ash blonde to brown but did not apply a red before. This resulted in green ash brown colour. Have been told that I will need to have this colour cleanse out and then the red before the brown apply (semi). Can anyone give me more options. Also have been told that she will use semi dyes to correct my colour which I can not understands

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

Blonde highlights with dark brown hair [ 6 Answers ]

I just got my hair highlighted blonde/gold today but it's not as subtle as I had hoped. How do I make it fade to a more subtle color as quickly as possible without returning to the salon? Would Prell work?

Medium Reddish Brown to Light Brown [ 3 Answers ]

I had been coloring my hair a medium copper brown for about a year. The last time I colored 3 months ago I used medium gold brown. My hair is less red, but still has red undertones. I would like to go to a light golden brown. Is there anyway I can do this without ending up looking like Bozo? Am...

Dark brown discharge [ 5 Answers ]

k... I started this new birth control called the nuva ring... it really easy and comfotable. The thing is that I am not supposed to get my period for another couple of weeks.. and I started getting dark brown discharge:eek: . So much that I need to use tampons.. its been going on for 5 dayz... I am...

Brightening blonde highlights and fading dark lowlights [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I used to have pretty light blonde hair, mostly from highlights. Today I went to get hightlights and I asked for a golden blonde color instead of just straight bleach. She said because I had such light ends that I should do a highlight and a lowlight. I said OK assuming it would turn out a...

View more questions Search