Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lesliec66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2010, 07:43 AM
    Is MRSA an airborne illness?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 19, 2010, 07:56 AM

MRSA is a tactile bacteria, person to person contact. Normally contracted by people with weakened immune systems. In no way airborne.
    Tick
    sirhillary Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2010, 08:35 AM
    It is also spread by airborne means.

Please visit this webpage for links (in the lefthand margin) to various studies that have been carried out http://www.e-co.uk.com/lnews.htm
    Expert

Nov 19, 2010, 09:13 AM
    [QUOTE=sirhillary;2606548]It is also spread by airborne means.

Please visit this webpage for links (in the lefthand margin) to various studies that have been carried out UVGI for HVAC Latest News - NDM-1, MRSA Airborne, C.Difficle, TB, XTR-TB, Influenza[/QUOTE

You are mistaken. MRSA is a staph infection of the skin, sirhillary, and unless the nasal passage is touched, it is not transmitted to the respiratory system. MRSA is spread in hospitals by healthcare workers not being diligent in changing gloves patient to patient; or for that matter doctors not changing gloves patient to patient.

You will have to hold up your post with better research data than the link you gave (other then in the UK) because that information and research has not been transmitted to medical information here in Canada.

Tick
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 19, 2010, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    MRSA is spread in hospitals by healthcare workers not being diligent in changing gloves patient to patient; or for that matter doctors not changing gloves patient to patient.
    That was in the "old" days. MRSA is now spread in schools and daycares as well.

Heck, I got mine when I was still in college and never stepped foot in a hospital. Well, until I had to be hospitalized to treat it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 19, 2010, 09:20 AM

This is interesting...

Significance of airborne transmission of methicill... [Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001] - PubMed result
    Expert

Nov 19, 2010, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    That was in the "old" days. MRSA is now spread in schools and daycares as well.

Heck, I got mine when I was still in college and never stepped foot in a hospital. Well, until I had to be hospitalized to treat it.
    Yes, I remember you saying about college. Here in Ontario it is still warm and flu season. There is a virulent outbreak of MRSA and e coli in our Peterborough hospital at the moment, but not in the town where I live and have a state of art hospital. At least as far as I know. I have to use universal precautions with e coli clients.

In a way I can see it being airborne where bedsheets are being pulled and thrown around, and I don't think beds are being carbolized as diligently as they used to be.

Tick
    sirhillary Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2010, 01:59 AM

If you read the research in my link you would see that MRSA has been found on "non touched" areas, there is only one way it has arrived there by airborne means. Please read the research papers listed in the left hand navigation pane on this webpage UVGI for HVAC Latest News - NDM-1, MRSA Airborne, C.Difficle, TB, XTR-TB, Influenza In addition how you account for the fact that in various case studies using UV technology positioned deep in the bowels of the hospitals ventilation system that MRSA rates have dropped by up by up to 40%?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troubleshoot house airborne odor in air/heating unit [ 3 Answers ]

When the air conditioner or heating unit is on, there is a terrible odor that seems to be airborne. It is clingy to your clothing and hair. We have cleaned all the air ducts, painted the entire house with Kiltz, cleaned the house with Odorban. We had an air quality test and relatively low...

Mrsa around my school [ 4 Answers ]

What exactly is MRSA? Apparently it's around my school and I'm really scared to get it. I searched it up on the internet but it only talks about old people having HA-MRSA. Please help me!

Is MRSA airborne [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Is MRSA airborne. There's a person at my husbands place of employment that was told by her Dr that she might have it on wound on her leg.

Mental illness vs physical illness [ 6 Answers ]

I need advise on what to do about my older sister. She is 57 years old and has spent most of her adult life in and out of hospitals. Although she does have some real medical problems she constantly complains about her health. She is fairly dependent on pain medications although she denies...

View more questions Search