Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    npbecker Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Summons for credit card debt
    I contacted the lawyers for Capital One who issued me a summons for credit card debt. I offered to settle for the principal balance and they were only going to accept full payment, including interest and court costs. I am going to court to answer the summons today, but first I called the lawyers again and asked to see the original contract- they said it was null after 2 yrs and they didn't have it, and if I wanted it I would have to get a lawyer and subpoena it. How should I proceed from here? I read on another post that if they cannot provide the contract then there is no case. Does anyone know about this?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Okay, this is my take, not advice, just my take from my own experience. I was in a position not of my own making, but my husband's, whereby they couldn't come after him because he was still protected by the courts and his settlement with creditors. I asked for proof of their claims that I had signed receipts using my husbands credit card, in actual fact I had proof I never signed for anything because I had every receipt ever issued on that card attached to all the statements. Talk about hoarding files, I am the ultimate hoarder ! I called their bluff and it worked (with my lawyer's sanction).

If it is null after 2 years and they don't have it, then how can you subpeona the document if it doesn't exist. Think about it. Sorry but I don't have any faith in lawyers-acting-as-collectors. In fact, the last collection person I had to deal with had a lawyer in his office, using the same letterhead,
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 05:34 AM
    They must produce the original contract your signed, you have the right to compare signatures on the original, if they don't have a contract, than they have no case.

Simply state "I cannot admit or deny the alleged claim without prove of the orignal contract, plaintiff has failed to provide it."
    frfpatty Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 11:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet View Post
    They must produce the original contract your signed, you have the right to compare signatures on the original, if they dont have a contract, thna they have no case.

Simply state "I cannot admit or deny the alleged claim without prove of the orignal contract, plaintiff has failed to provide it."
    What would be the original contract, As I have been reading, the credit card application is not a contract, So would they have to submit the actual receipts with my signature? If they can not produce the receipts then there is no contract?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 7, 2009, 02:20 AM

The credit card application, which you sign, agreeingt to their terms and conditions, is a contract.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2009, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by frfpatty View Post
    What would be the original contract, As I have been reading, the credit card application is not a contract, So would they have to submit the actual receipts with my signature? If they can not produce the receipts then there is no contract?

Where have you read that the original agreement/application is not a contract? It's in the small print. First time you use the card you've agreed to the terms.

If you have info to the contrary, please post.
    frfpatty Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 11:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Where have you read that the original agreement/application is not a contract? It's in the small print. First time you use the card you've agreed to the terms.

If you have info to the contrary, please post.
    Here is the post you requested, please give me your opinion.

A copy of the alleged credit card application is not a contract. See footnote 3 in the matter of Novack v. Cities Service Oil Co. 374 A.2d 89, 149 N.J.Super. 542 (N.J.Super.Law Div. 04/07/1977)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2009, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by frfpatty View Post
    Here is the post you requested, please give me your opinion.

A copy of the alleged credit card application is not a contract. See footnote 3 in the matter of Novack v. Cities Service Oil Co., 374 A.2d 89, 149 N.J.Super. 542 (N.J.Super.Law Div. 04/07/1977)

The argument in this particular case is NOT about the validity of the credit card debt. The argument concerns one specific purchase made on the credit card.

The "alleged" application is also the problem - it would appear from a cursory reading that the original contract could not be produced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debt summons [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently served a summons for a credit card debt with capital one for an account that I hadn't done anything with for over 5 years. I am supposed to file a "motion" or "answer" to the court within 30 days. What does each mean and what would be the best approach for my situation? The principal...

Summons regarding credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I hope someone here can help me. I live in West virginia and I received a summons from my local sheriff's office yesterday. It says I am summoned and required to serve upon the plaintiff's attorney within 20 days an answer. The plaintiff is Midland Funding LLC in San Diego, CA. Their attorney...

Summons for credit card debt [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Minnesota and I received a summons for a credit card debt requesting an answer within 20 days. I don't have the money to pay for the amount that I owe and am currently working on investigating my options for how to pay this money. I am completely unaware of this process and what...

Summons for credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I am so desperate and so worried that I find myself seeking the help of strangers. On Friday I received a hand delivered summons to appear in court regarding a credit card debt. I have opened credit cards in the past, but I do not remember this particular bank. I also wonder if I did owe,...

Credit card debt summons [ 2 Answers ]

I have credit card debt from four different cards. One is our local credit union (washington state) and I believe they are trying to send me a summons. I was contacted by an ex-partner who said they contacted him with "papers". He said he did not know how to contact me. If they cannot find me...

View more questions Search