Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DavidKB Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Can my contractor bill me without my consent ?
    Hi, I started an addition project about a year ago. Now we are done! My contractor sent me a final bill with the remaining fee due PLUS his extra work (about $3000)! In it he said was a couple little thing he did like remove a couple forms under the house and frame extra 12"x12" niches to the new addition. I asked him to give me quote for them but he never did. But he did it. I always knew that it was not for free but I thought that I will give him a $300-$500 when done. I tried to settle with him but he only want the full amount. Should I take the dispute to the CSLB or court ? Does he has a case.
    Thanks for your advices!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Just from the tone of your post, it sounds like you gave permission for the additional work to be done, without a written estimate of the cost.

"I always knew that it was not for free" is the part I'm reading this opinion into.

If this work was required for the work to be completed correctly, I believe he would prevail if the case goes to court.

Just my opinion.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Did you have a written contract for the original addition work? If you did, it may have language about changes and how they are to be handled.
    If not, if the contractor is licensed you may have leverage through the state licensing board.
    If not licensed you may get help from the attorney general, consumer protecton office.
    He may be willing to negotiate if you have other options.
    If there are no written contracts, it is your word against his. It appears to come down to the fact that both knew about the change, the issue is the value of the change.
    If you go to arbitration or court, you have no more than a 50-50 chance of prevailing--that is if there is no written contract. Negotiate and get rid of it as fast as you can.
    DavidKB Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Yes, I did ask him to let me know how much he would charge to have the niches put in. But never did he gave me a price for it then I came home one day and he was more than half done with it.
    He is a license contractor and I did have an original contract for the addition. I have been told that any change of order have to be written ? Am I wrong to assume that ?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Yes you are mistaken about change orders. A large home builder would have used a change order but it sounds like you're working with a smaller outfit plus you did not stop that work or demand and estimate before he went further. This would apppear to be tacid permission.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's age of consent ? [ 10 Answers ]

I thought age of consent in Maryland is 16 and there's no age gap provisions.. isnt it rite ? So that mean you can have sex with your 16 yr old girlfriend even if u're 30.. rite ? I don't know, if its' right then, what Can you do when u're 18 that you can't do when you were 16? Vote and buy...

Age of Consent [ 2 Answers ]

I know that the age of consent in Indiana is 16, but does that mean that a 16 year old can have sex with someone over 21 or is that illegal? Can charges be pressed by parents of the 16 year old if she has had sex with a man over 21? I keep getting mixed reports on this question, so if someone...

Age of consent [ 2 Answers ]

At what age in South Carolina, can a child chose which parent he can live with when the parents are divorced?

Sub-contractor / CONTRACTOR liability [ 1 Answers ]

We Had Flooring Installed In Our Home. The Company Who We Bought The Flooring Promised The Flooring To Be Glued Down. Instead Their Sub-contracted Foreign Installers Drilled Through The Concrete. Water Is Now Shooting Up Through The Holes Like A Fountain. The Company Told Us That The Damage...

View more questions Search