Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jamesalan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2005, 03:54 PM
    Honda civic engine will not turn
    My '88 Honda civic was running when I pulled the 15 amp ecu fuse. This immediately stopped the engine. I believe I returned the fuse with the ignition key still turned. I have since been unable to start the engine-all I get is a click from the fuse box area just under the driver side dash. I have checked all fuse continuities-they are all good. The ecu was signalling a single flash-I have since re-set it by pulling the hazzard fuse. I am concerned I have fried the ecu, however, when I turn the ignition key I still get a single flash from the ecu signal light, then nothing. I have also noticed the check engine light will come on for several seconds then go out, which seems to indicate the ecu is still OK, but I am not sure. Any suggestions? Thanks. Jim
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Aug 9, 2005, 05:00 PM
    Hello,

I am only giving my input since I see no one else really is... now I'm no genious, but did you try resetting everything by disconnecting the battery, waiting for about a minute, then reconnecting?

My car requires that after doing work like you did.

Good luck.

Aug 9, 2005, 07:23 PM
    Thanks for the reply
    Many thanks for yor suggestion. I did do that after reading your mail, but still no go on the engine-but thanks for the idea, I really appreciate it. Jim
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Aug 9, 2005, 07:28 PM
    Otherwise, I wouldn't wouldn't know... I'm not an expert in that area... I know there are several others here, though, so I'm sure they will be happy to help you very soon.

Glad I could be of assistance! Good luck!
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Aug 10, 2005, 02:14 AM
    Why did you pull the fuse while the engine was running?

Try finding the same ECU as yours and plugging it in instead of yours. That will tell you for sure if ECU is OK. If not, you might have melted some wires somewhere. Have no idea where. Pulling the fuse while the car is running is just not a good idea.

Aug 10, 2005, 08:30 AM
    Think before pulling a fuse!
    I saw a cartoon picture once of a man with his head in his hands ( a thought caption from the man said "oh bleedin' hell!") and in the background was a freshly painted canoe he had obviously slaved over. The canoe was beautiful, the only problem was that one end curved upward, while the other end curved down--the canoe was useless! That's about how I feel after pulling that ECU fuse with the engine running. Let's say I was re-charging the battery at the time so I didn't want to turn off the engine, and ECU meant something different to me at the time. I'll never do that again. However, thanks for your reply, your suggestion will be my next move. Jim.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

85 Honda Civic won't turn over [ 6 Answers ]

First, my knowledge of cars is limited, so forgive me if my terminology is off. I went to start my 85 Honda Civic Hatchback yesterday, and the starter slowly puttered out (crank crank Craaank Craaaaannk... nothing). Now, when I go to start the car, Nothing happens. I can pop the clutch, and the...

92 Honda Civic LX engine problem. [ 2 Answers ]

Someon please answer this question. I just got to work and my "check engine", "battery" and "coolent" lights came on and my car just stopped and wouldn't go any further. What is going on?? I just had an oil change 3 days ago and filled my car with gas 20 min. before this happened. HELP! I'm stuck...

89 honda civic won't turn over [ 1 Answers ]

Most of the time it starts.Is now acting up once in a while.when you push clutch to the floor you hear a click and that is all.when you keep pushing pedal to floor it will turn over eventually.Can someone please suggest what's the problem or how to fix this? THANK YOU!

Key won't turn in 95 Honda Civic [ 6 Answers ]

My steering column in forever getting locked on a 95 Civic that I bought. The person who sold it to me told me to push the key in and clockwise while jiggling the steering wheel left to right . This worked a couple of times but it is a HASSLE to start the car and I live in fear that I won't get...

92 Honda Civic - engine overheats [ 2 Answers ]

3 weeks ago I changed the radiator and everything seems to be fine, 1 week ago I had to change the distributor. The problem comes right after the distributor was changed. After 5 minutes of running the engine feels warmer ( lets say it is like is overheating), and it looses power. On the express...

View more questions Search