Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zoso43512 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2007, 05:32 AM
    Bleeding of a hot water radiator
    In a hot water boiler system, what is the correct way to bleed the lines of air? Starting upstairs and going down or starting downstairs and working up to the second floor?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 23, 2007, 07:24 PM
    Depending upon how it is piped you may end up having to bleed both up and down stairs multiple times so I would start at the top and go form there.
    zoso43512 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Oct 24, 2007, 03:20 AM
    What do you mean by "how it is piped"? Also should I do this with the furnace on (while hot) or off while the water is cold? Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 24, 2007, 04:40 AM
    There are many ways a boiler can be piped depending upon the contractor. Main header zone,primary loop zone,secondary loop zone, circulate pump zoning, electrical valve zoning, to just name a few. I always bleed while the boiler and pipe is hot. The reason is when the water is hot it gives up some of the oxygen/air content and if you bleed when cold you may have to go back and do it again. Consider installing some automatic float vents to help prevent this issue in the future.

If your boiler has not been looked over by a professional in a while I would consider having it done. They can clean the burners, combustion chamber, lube any motors and most important adjust the burner for the proper C/O and temp. This usually saves on the utility bill the cost of having it done and is not that expensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bleeding hot water system [ 1 Answers ]

I have two rooms that are cold both rooms have baseboard rads,and are n the same room no bleeder valves but I see a spicket valve ( like outside hose valve)next to the zone valve how do I bleed this type of line my two other zones are fine thanks

Bleeding air from old hot water system [ 3 Answers ]

I have old circa 1930s/40s? Baseboard radiators that always seem to be full of air. I bleed them at the valves and it is OK, but it only lasts for a day or so, and then the darn things are cold and I have to bleed them again, what's up? Sometimes when I bleed them only cold water comes out and it...

Bleeding hot water boiler four zones [ 1 Answers ]

HELP,My hot water boiler has four zones, one is hot the others need bleeding. How do I go about this?

Continuously bleeding one radiator... [ 2 Answers ]

Happy christmas and a bloody good year to you all ;) I changed to all new rads, installed a few more, changed hot water cylinder, a new pump and some pipework a couple of years ago all worked well. Then last summer I put a rad in the bathroom and the pipework is complicated. It works well but is...

View more questions Search