Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cshirema1863 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 05:32 PM
    Tension of a Cord
    a frictionless pulley of unknown mass M and radius r = 0.200 m which is used to draw water from a well. A bucket of mass m = 1.50 kg is attached to a massless cord wrapped around the pulley. The bucket starts from rest at the top of the well and falls for t = 3.00 s before hitting the water h = 6.89 m below the top of the well.

What is the Tension of the Cord

My partner and I keep usinng the Tension Formula F= mass * acceleration. We found a an linear acceleration of 1.531 m/s2.

any help with the formula would be appreciated
    Nhatkiem Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

Nov 2, 2009, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cshirema1863 View Post
    a frictionless pulley of unknown mass M and radius r = 0.200 m which is used to draw water from a well. A bucket of mass m = 1.50 kg is attached to a massless cord wrapped around the pulley. The bucket starts from rest at the top of the well and falls for t = 3.00 s before hitting the water h = 6.89 m below the top of the well.

What is the Tension of the Cord

My partner and I keep usinng the Tension Formula F= mass * acceleration. We found a an linear acceleration of 1.531 m/s2.

any help with the formula would be appreciated
    Lets first figure out acceleration in the y direction

the final position is (yf) is 0, the initial position (y0) is 6.89, and the initial velocity(v0y) in the y direction is 0, and time (t) is 3.

This is OVERALL acceleration. We have two forces in play here causing this direction. Weight, and Tension which are acting in opposite directions.

Fg is the force due to gravity (weight) and T is tension. If the overall acceleration is -2.3 m/s^2 downwards, it would mean that there is an acceleration upward of (9.8-2.3) to give an overall acceleration of -2.3. Mass here is the mass of the bucket + mass of the rope (But the rope's pass is said to be negligible.

I can't figure out why they would mention that the mass of the pulley was unknown and that the radius of the pulley was 0.2. Perhaps I am missing something but it would seem to be extraneous information. (If the pulley had somehow become dislodged and attached to the bucket, then we would use its mass but again I don't understand why they tell us it's radius.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I replace a 240v plug/cord with a 110v plug/cord on a KitchenAid Mixer (5KMP50)? [ 5 Answers ]

I have acquired a KitchenAid Heavy Duty 5-quart 10-speed Mixer model #5KPM50, which has a European-style 240v plug. I know there are converters available, but I want to replace the 240v plug with the standard 110v plug used in the USA. Can I replace just the plug or should I replace the plug and...

Increase tension for pull cord [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Ariens snow blower. The pull cord broke and I replaced it with a new cord. I am having problems getting the tension back into the rewinder and I am not sure how to get the tension back. Anyone know how to do that. Thanks Chris

Is this cause by tension or can it be serious? [ 5 Answers ]

Whenever I go through extreme times of mental and emotional stress I get Horrible dizzy spells that can last anywhere from 10sec-20minutes Pressure headaches, it feels like someone is blowing a ballon in my face Tenderness, my whole body is sore like im bruised I'm either too warm or too...

How much tension? [ 1 Answers ]

:) How much tension must a rope withstand if it is used to accelerate a 1046 kg car horizontally along a frictionless surface at 1.21 m/s2?

Tension [ 1 Answers ]

A 38.6 kg sign is suspended by two wires, as the drawing shows. Find the tension in wire 1 and in wire 2. http://www.webassign.net/[email protected]/[email protected]

View more questions Search