Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    medford46 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 12:02 PM
    401k rollover deduction for daughters college tuition
    I am over 59.5 years. Can I withdraw 401k rollover dollars tax free to pay my daughter's college tuition? If yes what IRS form(s) do I use?

[email protected]
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 12:18 PM
    You can take a distribution from your 401(k) or IRA to pay your daughter's college tuition, but it's not tax free. Remember, your 401(k) is essentially a deferred compensation plan, so you pay income tax on it just like on wages. You will receive a 1099 form in January that reports this as income to you, and you report it on your 1040 tax form in April. Also be aware that they will also withhold 20% income tax from your distribution.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 9, 2007, 01:50 PM
    You might be better off taking a loan against the plan. The interest you pay goes back into your account so you are paying yourself interest.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 02:28 PM
    You can withdraw from your IRA (but NOT the 401K) for higher education costs for your daughter and be exempt from the 10% Early withdrawal Penalty, but you WILL have to pay state and federal income taxes on the withdrawal.

For this reason, I agree with Scott that the loan option is probably the better deal for you. You can borrow from your 401K, but NOT from the IRA.
    Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 02:38 PM
    ATE: Doesn't paying tuition for a child qualify as a hardship withdrawal for a 401(k) plan, so if her plan allows hardship wthdrawals she could do this. I woudn't recommend it, but in response to the OP's question I believe it is possible.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Hardship generally applies to items that must be withdrawn in order to survive (pay for food, housing, utilites, etc.).

Paying for college does not qualify.

Of course, all anyone would have to do is to roll the money from the 401K into an IRA, what the requisite amount of time (say, ten seconds), then withdraw it from the IRA under the higher education cost exemption.

If you give any problem enough thought, there ARE ways around the restrictions.
    Expert

Nov 11, 2007, 07:11 AM
    ATE - not to pick a nit, but the IRS defines the following as hardships with respect to allowable 401(k) hardship withdrawals:

1. Un-reimbursed medical expenses for you, your spouse, or dependents.
    2. Purchase of an employee's principal residence.
    3. Payment of college tuition and related educational costs such as room and board for the next 12 months for you, your spouse, dependents, or children who are no longer dependents.
    4. Payments necessary to prevent eviction of you from your home, or foreclosure on the mortgage of your principal residence.
    5. For funeral expenses and repair of a primary residence.

That's what the IRS allows. The rules fro individual plans may differ, and I suppose it's possible that there may be a plan out there that doesn't allow withdrawals for paying a child's tuition. But as far as the IRS is concerned it's OK.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2007, 09:23 AM
    I grant you that the IRS allows it, but, it has been my experience that MOST 401K plans do not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex not paying college tuition? [ 3 Answers ]

Can my ex refuse to pay for our son's college tuition even though it is in the divorce that we each pay 50%? He says he doesn't have the money and probably can't get a loan due to negative equity on his house... Is it worth it to take him to court?

Withdrawal from 401k for child's college tuition [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to confirm something for my brother. In 2006 he did an early withdrawal from his 401k of $5,000.00 to go towards his daughter's first year of college tuition. What ax liability his he facing?

Tuition and Fees Deduction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, First of all, thank you for taking time in providing solutions for tax related issues. Here is my situation and question: I am filing resident 1040 MFJ return. In 2005, I have paid $12000 to a university for my MBA course. My employer reimbursed me $3000 out of the $12000. I am...

Tuition deduction - F1 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, if I'm on F1 visa, can I deduct tuition as higher education expenses? 4,000? Thanks a lot!

Tuition fees deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was on F1 in 2003 and 2004 and now on h1b. I did not claim any eductaion expense tax benefit while I was on F1. So far I paid school fees from my own pocket. Can I claim tuition fees deduction while filing this years return?

View more questions Search