Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Abbilicious Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Determination of fault in car accident in NJ
    I was involved in an accident that the other parties insurance is stating was 5% my fault and only willing to pay as much. I don't believe I was at fault period and want to be compensated as such. (I realize it's only 5% but it's going to turn into more money than I can really afford at the moment!) Could someone please help me figure out where I can obtain the resources to prove the insurance company that it wasn't my fault at all?

Here's the scene: I was driving east on a two lane road. The traffic in the west bound lane was stopped because of a red light and backed up 1.5 blocks. The spped limit is 25mph and I was within the legal limit. The conditions are clear and dry at dusk with stret lights and the area is heavily populated. The other driver cuts through the west bound lane of traffic and merges into my lane and into me. I saw him making the turn and anticipated that he was going to hit me so I swerved to the right to avoid him. His vehicle hit mine just in front of my driver door. There was no airbag deployment and there is no direct front end damage to my vehicle. All the damage is on the front side panel and door. I received no citations from the police but the other driver received at least two and his car was impounded because it was unregistered.

The insurance company is claiming that because it's a "front to front impact" it's 10-20% my fault and I should be more than satisfied with the 95%. When I took it to their authorized repair shop everyone (and there were a bunch because they thought it was ridiculous) said there was no way it was my fault.

Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 17, 2007, 09:49 AM
    What about YOUR insurance company? Since, if the other guy's insurance only pays 95%, yours should pick up the other 5 and then sue them for it if they believe you were not at fault.

Bottom line, however, is you would have to sue the insurance company for the 5% which would probably cost you more then the amount you would recoup. You can try appealing the adjuster's ruling higher up in the company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this accident my fault? [ 11 Answers ]

OK so I was making a left hand turn and I was suppose to yeld but I didn't see this car and she cliped my back bumper is it still my falt if it was that back of the car oo and it was ice outside so she couldn't stop and that's why she hit me. :confused: :(

Car accident while friend is in the car [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about what the case would be if I got into a car accident, mine or another drivers fault, with a friend in the car that is mine but in my Mother's name. I have been reading a little bit into insurance, I think I understand how it would work and come into play a little bit. What...

What Happens If Its My Fault In An Auto Accident [ 5 Answers ]

Question 1: OK if I don't have auto insurance and I hit someone who is insured and its my fault and the two children in the back seat of her car are injured but not seriously are not the drivers children can I be sued by both parties by the driver and by the parents of the children Question 2: ...

Proof of Insurance for a no-fault auto accident [ 6 Answers ]

I was recently involved in an accident. Unfortunately, my insurance lapsed. I have witnesses that claim the accident was not my fault. However, since I did not have insurance at the time, I do not know what I may be liable for. If I can prove the accident was not my fault, will that mean I will not...

Not At Fault Car Accident, What's Next? [ 2 Answers ]

I was Recently In A Car Accident That was not my Fault The Other Driver Took Responsibility For The Accident, But I Have Yet To Hear From His Insurance Company Which He Has Yet To Inform Me Of. The Police Don't Even Know His Insurance Company Either. He Was A Government Official And Driving A...

View more questions Search