Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr_sham_79 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2007, 12:39 PM
    F-1 to H-1 Tax Status Determination
    I have a question regarding my Status for tax purpose. I will really appreciate if you answer it. I am trying to determine if I am resident or dual status. I have applied for an extension because I was told that I will be a resident status will change on 8 June.Here is my information.

--> Entered US: Jan 2002 on F-1
    --> Was out of country for 2 months in 2005,was in US rest of the time
    --> Status Changed from F-1 to H-1 on Oct 16 2006

Can you please guide how will I apply for tax return for 2006. Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards
    Sham
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 13, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Sham:

Are you married?

If married, you can file jointly and you and your spouse BOTH choose to be treated as resident aliens, filing Form 1040EZ, 1040A or 1040 (whichever applies).

If you are not married, then you should file as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

Jun 14, 2007, 07:58 AM
    Atlanta Tax Expert:

Thanks a lot for your response. I am not married. Actually I am trying to get standard deduction and deduction for education.I am not from india. So If I file as a non resident then I will not be eligible for these deductions and instead of getting a tax return will have to pay. I spoke with IRS and she told me that you can apply for an extension and then apply for tax return when your status changes on 8 June.I am still not sure what I have to do. I will really appreciate your help.

Regards
    Sham
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 14, 2007, 10:12 AM
    If you are not married, then you need to file as a non-resident alien.

Your only other option is to file as a dual-status alien, but, in 99% of the cases, there are NO tax savings by filing a dual-status return.

Which country are you from, and in which state do you reside?

Jun 15, 2007, 09:47 AM
    I heard that on dual status you cannot claim standard deduction,but can claim itemized deduction ( for my college fee which I paid last year). Is that right?
    I am from Pakistan and I reside in VA. I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Sham
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 15, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Sham:

You cannot claim the standard deduction for EITHER the non-resident or dual-status tax return.

In both cases, you must claim the itemized deductions using the Schedule A that is part of Form 1040NR.

Now, it is unlikely that you can claim your college fees and tuition as an itemized deduction. Sometimes, it is possible to claim these fees and tuition as employee business expenses, but you must meet several criteria and avoid other conditions that disallows the deduction, and, in most cases, foreign national students cannot meet the criteria.

Jun 20, 2007, 06:46 AM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    I really appreciate your time and effort for answering my question. Actually I was confused. So that means I applied for extension for no reason because it is not making any difference any way. I will ask them if I can cancel the extension as I filed as Non resident anyway. Thanks a lot.

Regards
    Sham
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 21, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Sham:

Yes, filing the extension was somewhat a waste of time. However, it is so easy that little is lost.

Just file your return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Tax Return form and Tax Status-F1 to H1B [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Dear, I am Korean who grew up in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. I am Korean citizen, but I hold Bolivia residency. I came to California on February 16, 2001 under B-1 visa. After 5 weeks, I went back to Santa Cruz, Bolivia in order to get F-1 visa. Then, in June 02, 2001 I came back to California...

Document to File prooving exemption of NY State tax and the Federal tax: F1 Status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi experts' Hi What should my employer file, to exempt me from Federal and state tax, I am in NY, and live in NYC, My Visa status is OPT... F1 JazZ

What Status should I file tax since my status changed from F1 to H1 from Oct 23 2006! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the following questions about filing for taxes for the yr 2006. 1. Since my visa status changed from F1 to H1 on oct 23rd 2006, what status should I file the taxes as & which form should I use? Till now I have used 1040nr ez! FYI : I am frm India, I have not left US from...

View more questions Search