Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JackWolf Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 11:47 AM
    Credit card debt incurred overseas
    Hi,

I was issued an AMEX and VISA card while I was living overseas (the U.K).

I returned to the US about 6 years ago and kept the cards active.

It turns out that I owe AMEX about $6000 and last night I received a call from what I assume is an American collection agency.

Can this debt hurt my US credit rating (I am an American citizen who moved to London for work)? I understand that if I ever moved back to London I would have a great deal of difficulty obtaining credit but can they hurt me now that I am back in the US?

One thing, in one of AMEX's letters they told me they would inform Experian and Equifax of my delinquency but the letter said Experian Ltd. And Equifax plc which are the UK subsidiaries of the US agencies.

Thanks for your help,

JackWolf
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2007, 11:51 AM
    There was a similar question earlier, it seems like the UK company sold the debt to an american collection agency, so yes, this american collection agency can now put bad marks on your credit and possibly sue.

If possible I would start making payments as they may have transferred it to the US before the statute of limitations expired and might be able to extend the statute if they intend to sue now that its in the US.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Doesn't matter, this will go on your credit report. The only aspect of debt incurred in other countries is the whether its reported, but once you are identified, it all goes to your record.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overseas Credit Card Debt Collection [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I have a credit debt (around CAD8,000) from when I lived/worked in Singapore and I have now returned to Canada. Can they come after me in Canada for the outstanding amount and do you think they would take any legal action to collect this amount. The only thing they've done so far is send...

Old credit card debt [ 5 Answers ]

I am scheduled for a hearing in local court concerning 2 credit accounts march 27(tomorrow). I filed my notice for intent to defend with the court last week and the lawyer suing me called last Friday and also sent correspondence stating that we could work this out to avoid court. Now I do not know...

Credit Card Debt [ 4 Answers ]

My Mother is 85 and in poor health. She has about $30,000.00 in credit card debt. Due to increased medical bills, perscriptions and her mobil home rent increase she is not able to pay these bills. She has no assets, and her only income is her SS monthly check. Several credit card companies have...

Credit card debt settlement overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently joined a debt settlement program that has good customer feedback on forums and favorable ratings from the BBB... however, I am worried that I will be sued before my debts are settled ($38000 over 24 months). And it is complicated by the fact that I took a job overseas for an...

Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hi---I have six credit card balances going and recently became unemployed. The biggest amount I have is 3,300.00, with other smaller balances on the other five. The biggest one has a credit limit of 9,400.00. I was wondering if it would be good to transfer all of the smaller ones (balances) to...

View more questions Search