Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shum Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Overseas Credit Card Debt Collection
    Hi!

I have a credit debt (around CAD8,000) from when I lived/worked in Singapore and I have now returned to Canada. Can they come after me in Canada for the outstanding amount and do you think they would take any legal action to collect this amount. The only thing they've done so far is send me emails and mail me monthly statements. The debt has been outstanding since 2003.

Also, can this outstanding debt affect my credit rating here in Canada?

Any advice on this matter would be most appreciated!

Thanks so much!
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2007, 10:15 AM
    I've heard of collection agencies from other countries hiring Canadian lawyers in situations like this, it would have to be a high amount for them to consider suing you.

I would pay it off, or send monthly payments if you can. I doubt they can't affect your credit rating without a judgement against you.

Edit: forgot to add, they could sell the debt to a Canadian collection company also, they may be hesitant to do this because then they would only get a small percentage of what you owe. Once a Canadian collection agent has it, they can mark up your credit.
    Gupta_SG Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shum
    Hi!

I have a credit debt (around CAD8,000) from when I lived/worked in Singapore and I have now returned to Canada. Can they come after me in Canada for the outstanding amount and do you think they would take any legal action to collect this amount. The only thing they've done so far is send me emails and mail me monthly statements. The debt has been outstanding since 2003.

Also, can this oustanding debt affect my credit rating here in Canada?

Any advice on this matter would be most appreciated!

Thanks so much!
    Hi,

I am also in a similar situation as you, now I am back in India and I have a credit debt (around SGD$20,000) from when I lived/worked in Singapore. But it has been about 3 months now. How is your situation? Thanks :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card collection [ 3 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitations on credit card collection in the state of Ohio?

Credit Card Collection [ 7 Answers ]

I Have About 3 Account That Are In Collections. Can The Credit Card Company Take My Income Tax Return.

Credit card to collection [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I had a credit card that we unfortunately had to use a lot. We spoke to the credit card company and explained we could only pay a certain amount each month. We explained we were not always able to pay the amount on the bill (but sometimes we were). Instead of working out a payment...

Credit card debt settlement overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently joined a debt settlement program that has good customer feedback on forums and favorable ratings from the BBB... however, I am worried that I will be sued before my debts are settled ($38000 over 24 months). And it is complicated by the fact that I took a job overseas for an...

Credit Card went to Collection [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a senior in college and just found out my credit card went to collection. I'm worried because it's with Citibank and I heard that they are ruthless. I did some travelling and was out of the country over the summer so I just forgot about the card and about paying. Apparently they had been...

View more questions Search