Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    k777a Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 01:58 AM
    Overseas Summons for Credit card debt
    Hi,
    Can anyone help me? I just received notice of a Court Summons delivered by a U.S. Marshall to my parent's home in Los Angeles. I currently live in South Korea. I will not be back in the states till a year or two. I was planning on paying for the debts I incurred after I finish working here.
    Problem is that my parents or cousin excepted the summons on my behalf, idiotic yes! I have been dodging creditors for a couple years now.
    I know that I must make the correct correspondance and agreements to payback the debt I currently owe. However, can anyone help?
    Question: What are the statue of limitations on credit card debt in California?
    Question: Where can I find out more about legal help, free if available?
    Question: Can I go to jail? Since a family member accepted the summons on my behalf? Am I committed to appearing? Does anyone know of the websites?
    Question: Should I make an effort ASAP to correct this situation, or keep waiting and make it pile up, thinking that it will go away?
    I know these seem like cowardly words, I am just not financially ready to begin to pay these creditors. Especially, since the summons that was delivered was from a "big" name corporation and the debt is for $2000 or so.
    Any reply will be greatly appreciated.
    In fear, k777a
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 06:37 AM
    It's a civil matter - not a criminal matter, so you won't wind up in jail. They'll just get a default judgement against you. Even if you showed up in court they'd still be awarded a judgement - unless you have some defense for not paying your debts.

If you're working, why not send them some money? Typically if you're making some kind of effort to pay them something they'll back off. At this point I'm not sure what you have to gain by waiting to start paying them off.

Good luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Its not going to go away. They are filing for a judgement now so they will have it on record before the SOL expires. The judgement will then last at least 10 years. As soon they find some assets of yours they will use the judgement to attach them.

You do not need to answer the summons or appear in court. If you don't respond to the summons a default judgement will be entered against you. What you should do is contact the creditor to offer some sort of payment plan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overseas Credit Card Debt Collection [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I have a credit debt (around CAD8,000) from when I lived/worked in Singapore and I have now returned to Canada. Can they come after me in Canada for the outstanding amount and do you think they would take any legal action to collect this amount. The only thing they've done so far is send...

Credit card debt incurred overseas [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was issued an AMEX and VISA card while I was living overseas (the U.K). I returned to the US about 6 years ago and kept the cards active. It turns out that I owe AMEX about $6000 and last night I received a call from what I assume is an American collection agency. Can this debt...

Summons Credit Card Debt [ 6 Answers ]

Ok, so super long story short. In 2004 my husband and I settled over $40,000 in debt with his retirement money. Then, of course, we had to pay taxes on it for income. We had to borrow $7,000 from our son and we STILL owe him that money... The whole thing was a mess. There were two credit card...

Credit card debt settlement overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently joined a debt settlement program that has good customer feedback on forums and favorable ratings from the BBB... however, I am worried that I will be sued before my debts are settled ($38000 over 24 months). And it is complicated by the fact that I took a job overseas for an...

Summons for Credit Card Debt [ 6 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear in pre-trail court due to $5,000 of credit card debt. I own this debt. I have a large sum of credit card debt and am considering bankruptcy. How can I avoid a trail and possible judgment? I thought about offering the company $1,000 to settle debt.

View more questions Search