Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rottiegirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2011, 12:41 PM
    My ex-husband recently died of cyanide poisoning and it is believed that his wife was
    My ex-husband recently died of cyanide poisoning and it is believed that his wife was involved in his death; this is under investigation by the proper authorities at this time. The property he purchased 32 years ago when we were together was supposed to be our daughter's inheritance. He had a will which came up missing when he mysteriously died and now his wife is selling the property for $250,000. Can we legally contest the sale?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2011, 12:46 PM
    You can not contest, but the daughter can, she needs to search out any possible lawyer he may have used to see if a will can be found.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 27, 2011, 12:52 PM
    At a minimum if the home is sold the money needs to go into an escrow account and frozen pending the outcome of the investigation. Depending on location the ex wife may be entitled to a portion of the sale money. But there is also laws on the book that persons can not profit from the commission of a crime.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2011, 01:44 PM
    Unless there is a valid Will bequeathing the property to your daughter it goes to his wife in MOST States. We need to know where you are.

A promise to leave something to someone means nothing if it's not in writing. Was this EVER contained in a Will?

It's entirely possible the Will was rewritten and the property left to the wife.

And I agree - if the wife had anything to do with his death and the authorities can prove it, she's out of the picture.

EDIT: You appear to know there was a Will because you state it's now missing. Contact the Attorney who prepared it and see where the original Will is filed. The Attorney may have it, Probate Court (or something similar may have it) OR your "ex" may have taken it with him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband died. He has 2 grown sons & one wife (step-mother) [ 6 Answers ]

Husband died. He has 2 grown sons & one wife (step-mother) No will , No trust. Most assets were signed over to various parties before death. The only asset in question are future earnings from photographs of the deceased that are sold via an agent from time to time.. The contract was in...

Recently found out after 22 years, husband had affair with best friend's wife. [ 20 Answers ]

Hi All - I've been married for 19 years, together for 22. He was 29 and I was 26 when we got together. Last year in the basement I stumbled upon my husband's old journals in an old gym bag. I pulled out a envelope with pictures of my husband and his best friend's wife (who were separated at...

If wife died, would husband remarry? [ 1 Answers ]

WIFE: What would you do if I died? Would you get married again? HUSBAND: Definitely not! WIFE: Why not - don't you like being married? HUSBAND:

My father died recently and my mother wants to transfer accounts into my name [ 3 Answers ]

My father passed away very unexpectedly and without warning 2 months ago. Now that the shock has finally subsided I'm feeling overwhelmed and I'm afraid that I'll make a mistake that will cause future problems. My father was retired and had various bank accounts and mutual funds which...

Deleting name of recently died spouse on house deed [ 1 Answers ]

My husband recently paased away after a about with cancer. I was told to have his name removed from our house deed, which we jointly owned. Was just wondering how to go about this, like who to contact or go to for this process. Thanks for your help and god bless.

View more questions Search