Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kare85 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 12:17 AM
    Scared to death
    Hi all. My name is Jen. I am 21 years old. I live in Ohio. I have never been in trouble with the law before. I passed a bad check back in July. The check was for $145. And I went to court and the judge told me to pay my restitution which came to $175 and my court costs, which came to $260. Well I have my restitution down to $72.21 and my court fines are down to $160. They set me up to pay payments every month. Well I was out of the state trying to find work, and obviously did not succeed. Well I called the Probation Officer and asked her if I could do community service or something like that to pay off the rest of my fines and restitution. She said no. And I specifically told her I did not have any money because I was not working. And when I was in Indiana, my mum, who was getting my mail, got a letter from the courts saying that I had until Feb 28th to pay the $72.21. Well my mum neglected to tell me that she had gotten the letter. I just got back home on Tuesday, the 13th of March, and got the letter's today from my mum's. And I also received another one that say's "It is hereby ordered that the above-named defendant show cause why sentence should not be reimposed in this case for this failure to comply with an Order of this Court, specifically, failure to comply with the Court ordered Restitution due in the amount of $72.21. I am wondering if I should even take the time to call the Probation Officer and see if I can just pay the $72.21 and not have to go to the court date. The court date isn't set until April 4th. The regular punishment was 180 day's in the SCJ. I really don't want to go to jail. I am not the type of person who would do good in jail. I am scared to death. Never being in trouble before, this is hard to take in. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice of any kind on this matter as what to do. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

~Kare~
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 04:15 AM
    Hello Kare:

If you have the money, pay it. If you don't, go collect cans. Otherwise, take your toothbrush with you on the 4th.

excon

PS> There's isn't ANY type of person who does good in jail.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Yes the reason you have to PAY, not do community service is you are paying the person back who you wrote the bad check for, that is what restitution is. The judge may allow community service or something for court costs ( but I doubt it)

And you always call and talk to the PO, being honest and keeping in contact is what keeps you out of jail. And if you have the money call him and go pay it. That way when you appear in court ( keep the reciept) you can show where it has been paid and everyone will be happy.

** and now you don't have 72 dollars but you had money to travel to another state looking for work,? Eating food somewhere, traveling buying gas somehow?? Sorry but somewhere I am having a problem with that
    Kare85 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 10:31 AM
    I want to thank you both for your replies. I called the courts and as long as I can come up with the $72.21 by the 4th, which is the court date. Then I will be all right and not have to go to court. And when I was out of state, I didn't pay for any of it. It was all free. I didn't even pay to get home. And when I went out of state it was only spose to be for a week and we have problems. But that is a different subject. Ok well thanks once again. Take care and gl

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scared [ 14 Answers ]

I have this probem for years, if I meet someone and this person liked me and want to go out with me I give them my phone # to get to know them but then I got scared that if I go out with them they are not going to like me like they did when I met them by accident so I creat execused to not to see...

I'm scared [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to skip your period everyonce in awhile??

Scared [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Okay, well I'm 17 and I've never missed a period or varied on the days or anything like that. My family has a history of still having their period all throughout pregnancy, my mom, sister, aunt, grandmother, and 2 cousins all had bleeding for the first few months of pregnancy. I think I...

Scared him away [ 4 Answers ]

I met scott 3 1/2months ago. It was my first time being out since I had my baby who is now 6months old. So I met scott in a club I was pretty drunk he walked me home and we had a kiss I gave him my number. The next day he text me but I couldn't really remember what he looked like and I wasn't up...

Scared [ 1 Answers ]

On June 4th I had sex, I woke up today with some spotting, now my period is due June 13th but is usually late by a week or more. I did a hpt, and it was negaitive but that still does not mean anything. I have felt sick a little but sometimes I get that right before my period.I don't know what to...

View more questions Search