Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicpoppleton Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 01:05 PM
    9year old daughter hardly eats or drinks?
    My 9year old daughter has hardly been eating or drinking. She weighs 3 and half stone. She never eats breakfast, comes home with a bearly touched packed lunch, has 1 maybe 3 bites of her tea. She's says she wants to eat healthly and it gives her stomach ache when she eats(which I think is because of not eating). She started getting dizziness. I am very concerned.:confused:
    JustLetMeDream Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 20, 2007, 02:23 AM
    Try to bribe making her eat - like junk food - things that she loves and can't turn down. Don't force her to eat, maybe just leave the food there and say your going to have a nap or something and she might eat it . Maybe she's been teased at school that she's fat?
    tessy Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Jan 20, 2007, 03:03 AM
    It could be a temarary thing she's going through and she's really not that hungry. Or it could be more serious. She's heading into that "i wanna look like a super model " phase, which could be very dangerous to her health. How long has this been going on? Is she an active kid? I know with me anyway, which I'm 21 but my brother was the same way growing up, when I stay active, exercising and walking all the time, I tend to eat more to fill my belly because your metabolism burns food faster when your more active, unlike my brother, he is very inactive and always has been, but he only survives off 1 or 2 small things a day, and he's really overweight. The metabolism just slows down so much that if she's inactive her body just feels like it doesn't need it. Either way you should encourage her to be more active- if that's the case, and eat at least 3 times a day. But continue to pay close attention because you might have to consult with her doc to make sure isn't purposely starving herself, very common for young girls. Expesially since she says she's trying to eat healthy, but not eating at all, that would be a red flag. Maybe you should try to educate her on healthy eating habits. Sit down with her and read fitness mags, and healthy eating cookbooks and have her help you pepare nutritious meals, work out togeter. Things like that would let her know your OK with eating healthy and firming up but NOT staving herself. In the end that only leads to either food benging and weight GAIN or the hospital.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2007, 03:06 AM
    You need to sit her down and tell her the importance of breakfast. That she is not allowed to leave the house until she has breakfast. When she is at home make sure she does not leave the table without eating.

Now it is important that this is brought up with her family doctor as well, because maybe there are other things that are going on and maybe a check up is due.

Joe
    JustLetMeDream Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 20, 2007, 03:34 AM
    I don't think you should try to force her as she will get angry with you and eat even less. So I think you should bribe her gently
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 20, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicpoppleton
    She started gettin dizziness. I am very concerned.:confused:
    You have every right to be concerned. It is time for a doctor's intervention. Anorexia can start at a very young age.

She needs a blood test to determine if she is anemic, this may be what is causing the dizziness.

While I agree with bribing her, I totally and emphatically disagree with bribing her with junk food. Bribe her with HEALTHY food.

My daughter actually went through this at age 4, she would only eat yogurt for about 3 months. I did take her to the doctor and the doctor said that there were "worse things she could eat."

Please make a doctor's appointment and do not take this lightly. This could be a very dangerous and volitile situation. Forcing her to eat could make the situation worse.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2007, 07:42 AM
    A parent has a responsibility to MAKE, FORCE or do what ever it takes for their children health, to do less makes them a very irresponsible parent

To allow a child to leave the house on a regular basis without proper breakfeast is not properly caring for a child. The same as with proper bed time and making sure they go to school.

The parent, not society is responsible for the child. Yes explain it, yes tell them, but in the end it is not the CHILD that makes the choice it is the parent.

Have them visit their doctor, and set up a proper diet and force them to follow it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 20, 2007, 07:52 AM
    While I agree with your Fr. Chuck, this could be a volitile situation if she is dealing with an anorexic child. We do not know for sure if she is, but if she is, forcing could cause the child to become bulemic.

This is why I suggested that she first and foremost make an appointment with a doctor who is trained to ask the right questions and do the proper exam to determine if in fact this is what she is dealing with.

To force a child to eat who is anorexic can be as detrimental to her health as the disease itself. I speak from experience as I was anorexic at the age of 15.
    CrazyPC Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 20, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicpoppleton
    My 9year old daughter has hardly been eating or drinking. She weighs 3 and half stone. She never eats breakfast, comes home with a bearly touched packed lunch, has 1 maybe 3 bites of her tea. Shes says she wants to eat healthly and it gives her stomach ache when she eats(which I think is because of not eating). She started gettin dizziness. I am very concerned.:confused:
    If she wants to eat healthy food then explain her what is that( a loot of fruit,vegetables,cereals,milk,also fish and other meet cooked without or some a oil)She may have anorexia,which is very often to the girls of her age

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy eats everything on trips outside [ 6 Answers ]

My 8 week old puppy eats everything of interest when she's outside on a leash. I mean everything. Leaves, grass, weeds, mulch, stones from the driveway, etc. What to do? She's in a harness and about the only way to prevent her from eating all this stuff is to hold the leash tightly so she can't put...

Weird Drinks - a/k/a Weird Food - a/k/a Gun Control [ 12 Answers ]

Okay, got to get this one started to go along with our Weird Dinners. Anyone ever had a Monkey Brain? How about a Duck Fart?

Help! My Puppy Eats Her Own Teeth [ 3 Answers ]

My smooth fox terrier mix is eating her teeth!! Help help help :eek: She just started teething about almost a month ago now... And I asked my friends for help and they said it "could" be a good thing.. Because teeth is a bone bone has calcium and so on... But I'm getting really worried.. ...

Energy drinks [ 7 Answers ]

Energy drinks. Hi I went to trader joes the other day and was looking for Propel the energy drink, or at least that's what I call it. The clerk said I was better off drinking red bull for a good energy replacement. He said that the Propel has synthetic chemicals in it that aren't good for me. Any...

Drinks blood or sperm polluted / effected by AIDS [ 3 Answers ]

Dear sir/madam, Please advise if some body drinks blood or sperm polluted / effected by AIDS , does AIDS transfer to his body and become effected. Regards Pointofview

View more questions Search