Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boofk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2012, 03:06 PM
    In love with a man with Asperger's
    I am in love with a man that has Aspergers. I dated him years ago before anyone had heard of Aspergers. I always knew that there was something different and very intense about him. That is what drew me to him. We broke up the first time because of a misunderstanding. He could never tell me what he was thinking or feeling about our relationship. I got frustrated with him and started to date other men. We went our separate ways for many years until my husband passed away and then I sought him out again. A mutual friend told me that she thought that he has Aspergers and I watched him closely and I completely agree with her after spending more time with him. He withdrew from me after losing his job of 35 years and ended our relationship abruptly. He ended up going back to an old girlfriend. I know that he cares for me and I sure do care for him and love him deeply but, I don't know if I could ever spend my life with him.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 21, 2012, 03:18 PM
    I've been married to such a man for almost 45 years (we figured out the Aspie thing about three years ago).

Well, he's with an old girlfriend now, so you have to leave him alone. But you want to talk about how it is to be married to an Aspie? ;)
    lnred Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 25, 2012, 11:50 AM
    I have been married to a man for 23 years whom I recently diagnosed with Asperger's, after just getting diagnosed myself officially last year at age 61. Aspie men, just like anyone else, have their good points and their bad points. I would say if you crave a lot of emotional response, forget it. On the other hand, when emotion does come, it is a wonderful and memorable event.

Since I am Aspie, too, I can't take too much emotion so it works for me but we had lots of kinks to iron out and our marriage is a work in progress. He is the best thing that ever happened to me. If you are interested I have written a book on learning to love as a Bipolar Aspie and it is a story of my journey which ends with my meeting my husband and marrying him.

But your man has someone else now so...
    boofk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2012, 06:38 PM
    Thank you for your responses. I have so many mixed feelings about this. I have recently started to communicate with him again on Facebook. I want to give him his space and let him sort things out on his own.

He has been married 3 times and says he will never marry again. Our relationship although short lived was full of love and I don't understand how he could just throw me over so abruptly for a woman that he ended a relationship with to be with me. Although I question all of that now. I think it was the stress of losing his job that made him go back to what felt safer and more comfortable for him.

To me it doesn't make sense. Maybe he knows he has Aspergers (we never talked about it) and didn't want to be that vulnerable with me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to regain the trust of a man with Asperger's? [ 14 Answers ]

I am in love with a man that I just recently found out has, he said I was the love of his life and wanted to be with me, I recently had a twin miscarriage and had a hard time dealing with it and with not knowing of his condition I lied to him which I deeply regret, I have tried apologizing, but he...

I love my fianc? And in love with another man. [ 5 Answers ]

I'm engaged to my fiancé for 2 years plus. We have been together for 4years. Recently I fall in love with a man in my work place. Just I'm getting married in 3 months time. The relationship between me and my fiancé, is not the same anymore. I get turn off with him and we are cold to each other....

Gay man in love with married man [ 3 Answers ]

About three yrs ago I met a guy on a gay website... he had sent he a note and we met... although I thought I was totally out of his league... and thought that I would never see him again for some reason he continued to visit me often... it was always oral sex me giving him receiving... and there...

Middle aged Gay Man in love with a married straight man [ 30 Answers ]

I've lived a long time and had many experiences but this one is driving me crazy. In my younger days I've had bedded straight married men and didn't find it satisfying because I was in it for love and they were in it for sex. That was 25 years ago, now here I am 25 years older and wiser and find...

View more questions Search