Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pradeepkumarr78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Tax filing for L2 dependent visa holder
    Hello Sir

I am an L1B visa holder and I have been here in US for the last 19 months.
    I had filed my returns last year.
    I recently got married (5 months back) and my wife is with me in Newjersey.

She is not working. I have applied for her ead and hope to get it by this month end.
    I can get her ssn only after getting her ead.
    I haven't applied for her tax ID# either.

I would like to know how do I file my returns showing my wife as a dependent...

I don't know how many days will it take for me to get the tax id# if I apply for her tax id# now.

Please advise how do I go about this now...

Appreciate your help

Thanks & best regards
    Pradeep
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 1, 2008, 02:06 PM
    You MUST have either an ITIN or SSN to claim your non-resident alien wife as a dependent.

Now, you CAN file Married Filing Separately and merely give her name on your return. You put the words "non-resident alien" where her SSN would go.

If you have not yet filed your return and file for her ITIN NOW (on 1 May 2008), it probably would not be issued until sometime in late June/early July. The ITIN procesing gets a real large backlog of ITIN applicatuons around this time of year

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1 visa holder - tax filing procedures [ 12 Answers ]

Hi I came to USA in march2007 with my wife and son. I am a L1 visa holder and my wife and son are in L2. Am I a resident or non resident alien? My wife doesn't work but has SSN . Am I eligible for Child Tax Credit? I want to ask which status we should file. Can we file jointly? Thank you

H1 visa holder - query on tax filing status [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US on 29th Sept 2007. I am married. I am here on H1B visa. My wife joined me on the 26th Jan 2008. My query is that while filing my returns for the year should I enter my filing status as "married filing seperately" or "married filing jointly". I understand that since...

Filing Tax Returns for a J-1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Experts: I am a J-1 visa holder,(single, have no dependants and no one can claim me as a dependant) Based on this status I am employed by a company. I filled out appropriate documents when I commenced my job. I worked for two months only last year 2007. (November and December). My...

Dependent tax exemption for L1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US in oct 2006 on L1 visa. My wife and son came in Dec. I started paying for their medical insurance since oct. Now I have received my W2 form. Can I claim my wife and son as dependents to get the tax benefit. I assume I need to file 1040NR form filing jointly with wife. Which...

Dependent Tax exmption for H1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning to start working in USA on H1 visa from October 2007 and my wife will join me later in year 2008. Will I be able to claim for dependent tax exemption for year 2007 and 2008 though my wife joins me in end of year 2008? If my wife also gets H1 visa and accompanies me in year...

View more questions Search