Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anchal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 12:29 PM
    Need your suggestion
    Hi,

Recently I got my H1 stamped. I am currently working with a reputed IT company in India. My new US company has asked me to give resignation notice (4 weeks) to my present company at the earliest. Once I have put down my papers, while I am in India they will arrange some US client interviews for me by telephone. Once selected by a client they will fly me to US within a weeks time.

I am worried that after I give my resignation to my present company and if my new US employer is not able to place me to a US client, then they will postpone my going to US indefinitely. I may be then left without a job both in India and US.

My new US employer is adamant that I should give my resignation to my present company at the earliest as the US clients will need me there within 5-6 days, once selected over the telephonic interview.

Please let me know, what should I do. Is this the common practise for going to US. :confused:

Thanks in advance,
    Anchal
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2006, 01:37 PM
    Hello Anchal:

Two weeks notice is appropriate. It's only a courtesy, however. If you think you could be left WITHOUT a job, then courtesy would have to take a back seat to job security.

You keep referring to this company as your NEW US employer. If you're EMPLOYED, then what does it matter if they can't place you right away?

Would it more accurate to call this company an employment agency? If so, then I would take what they tell you with a grain of salt.

excon
    anchal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2006, 08:06 AM
    Hi Excon,
    Thanks for your response.
    Actually this new company is a software consultancy company which places its employee in clients place in US. It doesn't have inhouse development projects for me.

In my previous/above update I may be wrongly using the word NEW US employer, as I won't be there employee till I reach US and join a client. My concern is if they are unable to place me to a client, then they may not even call me to US. I may then be left without a job.

How is the market in US. Is it hot?
    Is this a common way/practicse of bringing H1 guys to US.

Please let me know your views and suggestion. I need to take a decision soon.

Regards,
    Anchal

Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Anchal:

Two weeks notice is appropriate. It's only a courtesy, however. If you think you could be left WITHOUT a job, then courtesy would have to take a back seat to job security.

You keep referring to this company as your NEW US employer. If you're EMPLOYED, then what does it matter if they can't place you right away?

Would it more accurate to call this company an employment agency? If so, then I would take what they tell you with a grain of salt.

excon
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2006, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by anchal
    Hi Excon,
    Thanks for your response.
    Actually this new company is a software consultancy company which places its employee in clients place in US.

In my previous/above update I may be wrongly using the word NEW US employer, as I wont be there employee till I reach US and join a client.
    Hello again, Anchal:

You call them a consultancy, I call them employment agencies. The difference is semantics. The bottom line is, you don't work till you're placed.

My advice hasn't changed. If they want you to quit, then they should start paying you. They're not going to do that. That already makes me suspect. If it were me, I WOULD NOT give up my present job.

Four or five days notice for your present employer isn't great, but you won't get sued for it.

IF this company is any good, they'll place you right away. If they don't, I would try other sources. Is the market hot?? For smart people in the computer business - the market is ALWAYS hot.

excon
    rram00 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by anchal
    Hi,

Recently I got my H1 stamped. I am currently working with a reputed IT company in India. My new US company has asked me to give resignation notice (4 weeks) to my present company at the earliest. Once I have put down my papers, while I am in India they will arrange some US client interviews for me by telephone. Once selected by a client they will fly me to US within a weeks time.

I am worried that after I give my resignation to my present company and if my new US employer is not able to place me to a US client, then they will postpone my going to US indefinitly. I may be then left without a job both in India and US.

My new US employer is adamant that I should give my resignation to my present company at the earliest as the US clients will need me there within 5-6 days, once selected over the telephonic interview.

Please let me know, what should I do. Is this the common practise for going to US. :confused:

Thanks in advance,
    Anchal
    Looks like it is bogus.. dont fall for it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stumped, any suggestion? [ 1 Answers ]

There is $22,000 in earning available to common stockholder and the stock has a P/E of 18. What would be the steps to find out what the current price of the stock be?

View more questions Search