Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blissgirl Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 07:26 PM
    Replacing bi-fold closet doors with bottom track - carpet
    New KingStar brand bi-fold closet doors are being installed in 2 of our closets. The new bi-fold doors are mirrored and have a bottom track. The previous bi-fold doors did not have the bottom track and the rooms are carpeted in 2 bedroom sized renovated basement rooms. (see pdf with photos)

Questions:
    1. To do this properly, we realize the bottom track is required. Do we remove the strip of carpet underneath the bottom track and glue down the edges up to the track, once the track has been installed?

2. The basement floor underneath the carpet is cement (obviously) and we have purchased cement appropriate screws and plugs. We have a cement drill bit ready for this task. Is this correct? Should these screws be longer?

3. The instructions are a bit confusing. Has anyone done this before who might give us a clearer picture than our printed instructions? Is this the sort of thing we could find on a YouTube video?
    Thanks for any guidance!
    Blissgirl
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Closets & bi-fold door install page 1.pdf (863.8 KB, 320 views)
  2. File Type: pdf Closets & bi-fold door install page 2.pdf (271.6 KB, 270 views)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 08:06 AM
    Thanks for the pictures, they really help. You do not need or what to remove a stripe of carpet. Your track can be mounted on the carpet but that particular carpet is very difficult to drill through or to drive a screw through it, it can run very quickly. Lay your tack down in the correct location, double check and even dry fit before moving forward. Mark the screw locations with a felt marker by tapping on the screw holes in the track, then remove the track. You will now have a sereies of black dots on the carpet. Each dot needs a screw but you need to cut a small X with a sharp carpoet knife before you drill for your anchor. Which anchor/screw did you buy?

Oct 17, 2011, 11:50 AM
    Hi Ballengerb1,
    Thanks for your input! This sounds promising. I like the idea of NOT cutting the carpet if possible. I have attached a photo of the screws that Home Depot recommended to me. These might be too short if it is possible to go on top of the carpet. They are size #6 8/34 What do you think?
    Blissgirl

The image is located on my Picasa web page:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Tamara.Bliss/ScrewsForCement?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJrT7qjzm 5O9zgE&feat=directlink[/IMG]

Oct 17, 2011, 01:15 PM
    OOps! The box reads the size is #6 - 8 X 3/4 or 3/16
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 18, 2011, 11:04 AM
    Sorry but that link you provided does not work.

Oct 18, 2011, 06:23 PM
    For Ballengerb1:
    Thanks for all of your input. It helped us a lot. The screws were too short and we found someone with a BIG drill, the right bits and deep screws for the cement under the carpet. I showed him the feedback you offered regarding marking the screw locations, leaving black dots and cutting the carpet with a small "X" to prevent any fraying/pulls. The first closet is done and looks good, works well. The 2nd closet is next.
    Thanks again!
    Blissgirl

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Searching for bi-fold closet doors for 44" space [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 44" closet opening that previously had metal bi-fold doors on it. I have been to Lowe's and looked on line, but cannot seem to find doors to fit a 44" opening. Anyone know where I can find/special order them or have an alternative suggestion?

Replacing pull light in closet with track lights [ 9 Answers ]

I want to replace a pull switch light in a closet with a track light from IKEA. How do I control this track light without a switch? Right now, pulling the cord switches the light on/off. I'm a novice at electrical work and the only electrical work I've done is swapping out light fixtures. I don't...

Bi-fold Closet Door [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 8 foot closet with 2 bi-fold doors and the person that installed them did not complete the work. He left a 1/2" - 3/4" gap between both doors when they are closed. How do I fix it so they come together without a gap and looks normal. And also both bifold doors when closed do not line up...

Bi fold doors [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I would like to know if it is possible, and if so how, to adapt a moulded interior door into a bi fold door, as all the doors in my house are the same and I cannot purchase a bifold to match? Is it possible to use a moulded door even though they are hollow in the middle? Thanks

Replacing bedroom and closet doors. [ 11 Answers ]

I have very plain hollow bedroom and closet doors which I'd like to replace one by one. I'm looking at the more modern doors that have a colonial design pattern on both sides but are also hollow. Do I have to replace the door jams/frame too, or can I just take off the old and install the new ones...

View more questions Search