Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerrice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2010, 11:16 AM
    How do I prevent frost from forming on the inside bottom track of my sliding door
    We have three Jeld-Wen sliding patio doors. They are two years old. We have frost that forms on the bottom track. How do we prevent this? Or are the doors faulty?

Thanks!
    Jerri
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2010, 04:08 PM

Have you properly caulked the bottom track on the outside and the inside? The reason frost is forming is due to cold air coming inside the home and mixing with the warm air. If you have caulked the bottom properly then there is nothing else you can do but put a rolled up series of throw rugs against the bottom of the doors to prevent the cold air from coming in and mixing with the warm air inside.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 05:43 PM

I don't think you even need cold air for this to happen. As I recall Jeld-Wen uses an aluminium track, aluminium by itself can conduct enough cold to the inside surface of the room where the cold track causes the moisture in your home air to reach the dew point then feeze. Do you have frost in the corners of any of your windows or have you tested the indoor relative humidity in the home?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sliding glass door track damaged [ 6 Answers ]

I Have A Wavy Track For My Slider. The Door Just Bumps Over It. It Is Not The Rollers For Sure. It Is A 12 Foot Opening That The First 3 Foot Door Is The Problem. Is There A Repair For This? It Works Awful And Sounds Like A Train Coming. Thanks Steve

Patio sliding door leaking from bottom at sill [ 3 Answers ]

Sliding padio door leaking at the bottom , water leaking on flooor beneath carpet into wood floor then into ceiling of living room below it causing damage to ceiling .

Where to buy a sliding screen door "track"? [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know if I used the correct term. Anyway, I am looking to buy a replacement of the plastic track that is attached to the top of the door frame. It holds the sliding screen door rollers in place. I have already tried Lowe's and Home Depot. Neither of them carry this item. The guy at Lowe's...

Sliding patio door track [ 3 Answers ]

The track on my aluminum patio sliding doors is curling up on both ends.. . Will a rail topper work for this? Do I remove the old one then put on the topper? Thanks, Troy

Cleaning sliding glass door track [ 2 Answers ]

My track is preventing my sliding glass doors from opening and closing smoothly. How can this be remedied? Thanks, MHeape

View more questions Search