Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_Nannen Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Jan 3, 2009, 11:38 PM
    Norton 2008 Anti-Virus
    My Anti-Virus recently had a problem. With norton, I get several variety's of "protection", and one of them doesn't work.

I've had this problem before, and a tech helped me to cure it temporarily. As far as I know, it's nothing to do with anything I've done.

It returned recently after my computer restarted for updates.

The problem is: Under my anti-virus, the norton service/part called "Advanced Firewall" for Internet, is "At Risk". This basically means it's not on.

I've tried turning it on and off, and contacted support multiple times. The last tech had no idea what caused it, claiming it was something with a third party program, and decided to give me a free 1 year subscription for my troubles.

If anyone has any idea how to remedy this, I'd appreciate it!

Jon
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Jan 5, 2009, 08:47 PM

I apologize that the Customer Support team was unable to resolve yout problem for you. After searching the Symantec Knowledge base, I found the following document:

Advanced Firewall Protection displays "At Risk" in the Norton AntiVirus 2008 Norton Protection Center

"If the status of the Advanced Firewall is shown as "At Risk" then it indicates that the non-Symantec firewall on your computer is either turned off or has a problem."

... which is probably something you've already heard. Just to be clear, you've stated that the Windows Vista Firewall is the only firewall you have on your system, correct? If you have the Windows Live OneCare Firewall, you may want to review the following document for information on troubleshooting:

How to troubleshoot the Windows Live OneCare firewall Service

I'm sorry if I'm already telling you things you've tried or researched; I'm trying to get an idea of things you've already done and exhaust every possibility. While there might be remnants of Norton Internet Security on your system, after both you and the Customer Support technician using the Norton Removal Tool, it's unlikely that the files/keys still reside on your system. If you have installed any other security software on your system, please let me know the name and version. This too might be prompting the Advanced Firewall to report an error. Thank you for your patience while we figure out the cause of the issue.

Tony Weiss
    Norton Forums Administrator
    Symantec Corporation

From: Advanced Firewall at risk!!!!!! - Other Norton Products - Norton Community

Jan 6, 2009, 02:24 AM

As far as Vista Firewall, I am currently running XP and always have. The XP Firewall is off as far as I know, as a tech made sure when she was controlling it to make sure it was.

I am currently running spysweeper alongside Norton for Anti-Virus and Spyware protection.

About 6 months ago, my Power Supply went to heck, and died on me. After having it replaced, the person who serviced it put AVG Anti-Spyware on. I don't currently run it at all times.

A tech once had me remove Spysweeper and Norton, re-installing Norton then Spysweeper. This too, was a fix until my computer restarted.

Which tells me maybe it's a conflict between Spysweeper and Norton.

As for versions.. I can't really tell what version it is...

Norton is 2008. I received an e-mail a long time ago to update to 2009, and I did. However, when this problem began, and a Tech removed norton, she re-installed 2008.

Jan 6, 2009, 08:42 AM

If you have Norton 2009, I would uninstall the NAV 2008 and Spysweeper. Defrag, restart Windows. Install Norton 2009, run LiveUpdate until you have all of the updates, run a virus scan.

You thoughts were correct, running two spyware programs at the same time sometimes causes a conflict. I also would suggest not running the AVG Anti-Spyware. If you want to run a scan for spyware once in awhile, then run Spysweeper but I wouldn't let it run in the background.

Jan 6, 2009, 10:25 AM

Fair enough. Thanks for your help

Jan 6, 2009, 11:42 AM

Your welcome. Let me know if this solves your problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the best Anti Spyware and the best Anti Virus? [ 4 Answers ]

Just curious as to what works best for you? Take care, Happy Holidays to you and yours

A Virus that Norton can't FIX [ 4 Answers ]

Its called win32.mixor!inf.. Nortons detects it, but can't repair it! And even if it tries to quarantine it, it says acces to file was denied. Like my computer also detects it (Windows Xp) then there's this bubble that won't stop appearing saying that my computer is infected! :mad: :mad: It...

Norton Anti Virus Protection [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone use this, if so, I need help. I know that with window updates, you need to download all critical updates. I assumed the same to be true with this program. Guys I normally use the computer in my office, that is maintained by a computer department. So I am learning the hard way. As...

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

View more questions Search