Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 9, 2008, 04:57 PM
    House Humming- Need Advice
    I am having the same problem as others with a low frequency hum. I want to try your remedy with the toilet, but I am very unfamiliar with the different parts. Would you mind explaining it all to me in a way I could understand - someone who has never worked with toilet. Where is the ballcock and the flapper. Please don't think I am too stupid. If you have a little time, I just need some help understanding what to do. Thanks. Debi
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 9, 2008, 05:06 PM
    No problem Debi,
    The ballcock's the thingy with the float ball on a rod. The flapper's the rubber looking dude on the end of a chain that lifts when you flush. There are a few things that will set up a vibration , (hum). We'll go through them one at a time.
    First remove the tank lid and check the water level. It should be 1/2" beneath the top of the white overflow tube. Any higher then that let me know.
    Now the flupper. With the lid still off flush the toilet. While the flapper's up run your fingers around the flat edge. It should have no wavey edges or rough spots. If so let me know. Check those and get back to me. Please post on the plumbing page, E-Mails and PM's make for more work for me. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Tom
    debi9000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mysterious humming noise in the house [ 113 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you folks can help me. Recently, we have been hearing a loud, low frequency "hum" throughout our house. I have turned the main power off to determine whether it's electrical. It's not. The noise does sound like a "fog horn" going off several blasts at a time and the noise level...

Keep computer humming [ 1 Answers ]

What are the 2 or 3 most useful ways (scans, defrag, etc) to keep machine from getting bogged down. I have some part of McAfee installed.

Humming pipes [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: :D Hi Why do my pipes hum. When I run the hot tap for a bath, flush the toilet then turn the hot tap off the pipes hum and make a loud noise. I have a combi boiler. Yes I had the plumber out and it didn`t do it when he was there.Typical.It did it when he had left though.LOL:D :rolleyes:

House Lien Advice/Help please. [ 12 Answers ]

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, or If I can even find the right forum to get some advice, I will post my current situation in a few places and will check them all. Please Read I will try to be brief Current Situation : I'm a son trying to help out my dad with some...

View more questions Search